Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks close to chrome and is durable? Also affordable. I have a compressor and spray equipment so I'm not talking about rattle can paint. I'm looking for an alternative coating for the grille on my 52 and don't really want to paint it the same color as the body. I did a search and came up with nothing.
Bob

·
©®™
1,295 Posts

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
I have some stuff on my truck grill that is pretty good, but you can still tell the difference. Its on the main bar,,,,,the teeth are chrome. It faded a bit after a year. Looks better in person.

Attachments

·
Stuck in the 30's
120 Posts
All the major paint suppliers, BASF, Glasurit, House of Colors has "chrome" paint. It runs about $400 a pint and it looks like the real thing.

I've never seen it next to the real thing so I don't know how it would look.

I do plan on using it on my project instead of running chrome trim down the sides of the body line and hood.

Definitely need a pro to apply it.

·
KING OF BONDO
809 Posts
Have any of you used the HOK, Dupont or PPG versions?? I have seen the www.innate.com before and it looked good in pics.. I was also told by someone who used them both that they thought the alsa was not as good what you get from innate.. I dont know, never used any of it, but have plans to do so before christmas, so this thread is of great interest to me as well

·
©®™
1,295 Posts
bnewsom said:
Thanks to everyone for replies. Still curious about actual experience anyone has with chrome similar paints. I did follow some leads to the site linked below. Lots of good info about this and other paint topics.

http://www.kustomkulturelounge.com/forum/search.php?searchid=17610

Bob
The link you provided here requires that you sign up and become a member to be able to access it. Perhaps you could find another link that doesn't require sign-up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
poncho62 said:
I have some stuff on my truck grill that is pretty good, but you can still tell the difference. Its on the main bar,,,,,the teeth are chrome. It faded a bit after a year. Looks better in person.
Hi poncho62,

After browsing some of the links and looking at the pics of your grille I have a question...

Did you use automotive clear or the chrome paint manufacturers clear?

BTW - I think thats a nice look on your grille anyway - the contrast looks cool! Almost like a Chrome/Nickle combination.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
I have seen the Alsa "Mirror Chrome" applied in person (never done it myself) and it is pretty amazing. It gets "pretty close" to chrome, still not, but pretty close.

Brian

·
Registered
188 Posts
So I spent the day at the paint shop waiting for the deluge of 'Black Friday' customers to come in. I realized they were not coming and forced myself to cut and buff a few panels. But the whole time I kept thinking of this thread and that 1/2 pint of KosmicKrome on the shelf kept saying... go ahead open me. Anyway, I grabbed a cap off of a cycle tank we display and chromed it.
The cap was already painted with KBC and UC35. I did not cut and buff it so it does have a few anomolies in it. I applied two coats of the KK per the tech sheet. I could not clear it yet as the min wait is 12 hours.

It looks surprisingly like chrome so far. Not perfect chrome but pretty good. It looks whiter than real chrome to me which makes sense since it's an aluminum flake product. I would not hesitate to use it on small accent items. I think a big surface would take some practice.

Here's some pics:
http://www.71corvette.com/kk/
#1 is the part as it started
#2 is the can of KK
#3 is after the first coat (I think I put too much on and
had some steaking)
#4 is after the second coat along side a vacuum metalized nut cover.
#5 is in the sunlight.

I will clear it tomorrow and post the final pic.

Larry

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant wait to see the cap cleared either. If it holds the shine I would say we have a good alternative to chrome.
I could not figure out how to get a link that did not require membership to the site mentioned in my previous post. But if anyone is interested in custom and alternative finishes, this site is loaded with info. Some posters on the site like kustom krome and some don't. Looks like major problems are too much build of kustom krome or too heavy of clear coats. Sounds like only "dusting" the part in two applications is all that is needed. They actually suggest spraying multiple "dry" coats of clear and then sand and polish out the part. And only using HOK clear since it has higher solids. Apparently if clear is sprayed too soon or too heavy, the solvents dull the chrome effect. I guess that's why the long wait before clear coating is to give solvents time to gas off that would otherwise get trapped and cause the finish to be dull or milky. You can't think of or apply this product like a regular BC/CC. Another interesting thing is the kustom krome is applied over a glossy polished paint - not just sanded. Basically has to be a slick and non porous surface.
I have no experience with this product but condensed what I read on the Kustom Kulture sight above.
Bob

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
HOK MC-OO is a cheaper solution for real chrome but it's no easy shoot.
It HAS to be shot over a FULLY cured clear coat which HAS to be PERFECT.Otherwise,ANY imperfection will blow up big time. Your essentaly creating a mirror. Great way to check your fingerprints if you want. Wipe down is critical as well. KC-20 is recommended and for GOOD reason.
I've experimented with the MC-OO quite a bit and used most every type precleaner. Even SPI's waterbase and most all have left wipe marks which were virtually invisable till you spray the first coat. UGGGGHHH...
It is a great GRAPHICS tool and for SMALL areas is great. I would not even attempt doing ANYTHING large such as glass bumpers or large panels.
HOK states in the tech manual that it is for LIMITED use and graphics type work only. It has serious delam issues as your shooting it over a highly polished surface so do NOT expect it to last.
Clearing it is a whole 'nother story. "If" you get the light dust coats sprayed right,you still have 1 big ***** hill to get over with the clear. The "key" is to use a fast flashing clear with multiple light coats. Even using HOK UC-35,You hammer it on and it will turn to your standard aluminum look finish.
I've even seen the HOK training DVD on it and unless you have GREAT atomization,light dust coats and a good clear technique. Don't waste your money. Painting any of these "chrome" paints is an art and requires some "chops" to pull off.
Now that I've scared everyone to death, :p
If you have the time to try it and $45.00 for 8 oz. Give it a shot.
One "secret" to spraying the MC is to go VERY light with each coat,you want to think black chrome,A little goes a LONG way. A good atomizing gun is a MUST and crank the fluid WAY down,give it plenty of flash time between coats and even 24 hr before the clear is not too long a wait.

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
A little better is ALL you'll get Larry.
Even the best at this paint can't replicate "real" chrome. It will always be "almost,but not quite".
I think it looks the best with just a "hint" of black still visable. It's at it's best reflection right before getting full coverage. Any further coats just adds to the aluminum look,so next time don't go all the way with it and see how you like that. :cool:

Mike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about durability of this product. Do you think it would hold up on a grille getting regular hits from bugs, etc? Seems to be some concern about the bond with it being appied over a polished surface.
Bob

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The chrome paint is basically a lacquer type product if I'm not mistaken, and should bite into that polished surface. The clearcoat to MC-00 bond would be my concern unless and intercoat clear could be used first. Larry, what clear does HOK recomend over the MC-00?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts