Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short - I am thinking about buying a car and wondering about the engine build. It was owned by an old hot rodder and he has passed away, and his daughter who inherited the car is a good friend of my girlfriend. She doesn't know anything about the engine other than a plaque in the engine compartment that reads:

355 Cubic Inch
10.5:1 Hypereutectic Pistons
750 Holley Double Pumper
Crane Cam 454 Lift 268 Duration
GM Heads 194/160 Closed Chamber
Edelbrock Torker Intake

Apparently it is an L-48 sbc out of a '74 Corvette, she says he had it built about 10 years ago. Based soley on this, is this a good build? I'm a novice when it comes to engine builds and would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Looks like a nice mild street combo.
Buy it, drive it, tune the wazoo out of it and then decide if you want to make any changes. The 750 dp might be a bit of overkill but is useable. Same with the intake.
Any idea what tranny or rear gears?
What car?

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Crane cam and Torker are "old school", alright. But should be a good performer. It would help if you could identify the shop that did the machine work. Those pistons have "special" requirements regarding ring gap that must be adhered to.

Compression is probably closer to 9.3:1. (75 CC chamber, flat-tops). A modern cam grind and a good dual plane would make it just as powerful and more "user friendly".

FWIW

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts