Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Casting # 3973370. Mortec.com says they are an over the counter head in the US from 69-70 with 64cc chambers. The guy selling them says they have 2.02/1.60 valves and have been ported, screw-in studs and guild plates. He got them from a guy running a stock car and these were his backup heads. I currently have a mild 350 with 76cc heads on it right now. Edelbrock intake/carb. Are these heads a decent step up from the ones I am using now? Or should I just stick with the ones I have now. I am supposed to look at them tomorrow. All comments are welcome. Thanks!
Zeder

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He wants $400 CND for them. He said he put them on his project truck and them started the body work. Just in and out of the garage and to the paint shop. He has since pulled the 350 and is building a 396. He figures the heads only have about 4 hours on them.
Do you know if the larger valves will hurt the low end torque of my motor? The heads I have right now just have the normal smaller valves, 1.94/1.50 I think. Sorry I can't remember the casting #. I know they are just a stock head from a 79 pickup truck. Definitely not a performance head of any kind.
Thanks!

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
Thats a great price for those heads.I basically just bought the same heads(dart) for $800 usd.The bigger valves will not hurt your torque.You should get a bigger cam to go with those bigger heads.Lots of torque potential!!! bm

nxs,
2 things.....400 canadian is only 250 us and they've be ported.I think thats a great price.bm

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
lluciano77,
I didn't see any dart heads on ebay for $350 usd a pair?Can you paste a link?Bm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Batman09,
Sweet ride!!! I really like your car! Great setup! black with white interior. You should add a few inside pics to your profile! So you say these heads are similar to Dart heads? I looked around on ebay, good tip, I can't find anything ready to bolt on for the cash this guy wants. The only issue is I will have to go over to this guys house tonight, right now @ 9:45 am it's -31C outside (-22F) I hope his garage is heated!!!
Zeder

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
Well it seems the guy was telling the truth about what they are, here is a website where it lists alot of casting numbers and what the heads were http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm I think that, being ported, and having 2.02, 1.60 valves, those heads will perform pretty well for $400 canadian. I dont know if you are planning on getting a new cam, but I think a XE268H or a XE274H cam would work really well with those heads, and make around 350-400 hp. If you dont mind running a 2400 stall, I would go with the XE274H. I think you would notice a signifigant gain in hp with those heads over yours. Not only will they flow alot better, but also, they have 64cc chambers compared to your 76c chamber heads. On a flat top 350 with valve releifs, with 76cc chamber heads, you are looking at around 8.8:1 compression, those 64cc heads would take you to around 10:1, that alone will add around 20 hp.

Adam

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Firestone,
I heard that 2.02/1.60 valves will not let me run hardened seats. Do you know if this is true?
Zeder

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I dont know. I havent done a whole lot of work with stock casting heads.

Adam

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Hello,
For $250 US that is a good price. Be sure to have them magnafluxed.

As far as hardened seats, why? Do you run leaded gasoline?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NXS,
I will have to run unleaded, thats why I need hardend seats! That right isn't it? I guess I could do the additive thing.
Zeder

·
1,529 Posts
Does ANYBODY here have problems have problems with 2.02 heads on unleaded? I thought those problems disappeared about ten years ago?

I need to stay out of this canadian $$s & whatnot. Where is that emonicon pulling a shoe from his mouth?

Oh! are these heads FACTORY 2.02s?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey NSX,
I found out that these heads are from 1969-70, so I guess it is possible that they might not have the right seats installed.
Zeder

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
nxs,
These heads are from 1969.Back then they still had leaded gas at the pump.He will nead new seats to run unleaded gas. bm

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
hardened valve seats

If the heads dont come with hardened valve seats, its a simple matter of having them put in. The valve seats are basically all the same in that respect. I would contact your favorite local machine shop and get a quote on what it will cost. I cant give you a price because it varies so much from region to region.
In these parts, it costs about $100 to do both heads.

OOPS!!!!!! Wrong key. Make that about $200. US

·
1,529 Posts
Just b/c they are from '69 doesn't mean they are factory 2.02s.

If they started as 1.94s and opened up to 2.02 in the past ten years wouldn't they have got hardened seats? It seems odd that they would still have the factory seats to me, especially after all that time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FYI
I went to go look at those heads. They looked very clean, inside and out. I popped an exhaust valve out and found no hardened seat. :( Just a nicely radius piece of the head. So I offered the guy $300 for them and with xmas coming he took it! So it look like I will have to get seats installed. The rest of the head looked great. The valve seal/umbrella was super soft, new! The valve springs are Z type, good. All the spark plug holes looked great. The screw in studs and guide plates looked new as well! I did see a spot in the center of the head right between the 2 inner cylinders that looks like it was welded up and then cleaned up by surfacing. The metal looks very bright compared to the head material. Looks like this head has seen a blown head-gasket at some time. The current stain from the last head-gasket is still in the heads and there was no breach, so it looks like the repair worked. I am going to have them looked at, mag'ed etc, when I do the seats. I hope they work. Thanks for all your guys help!
Merry Xmas
Z

1 - 20 of 21 Posts