Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are new vortec heads and I pulled them apart to clean up some of the exhaust runners and noticed these inserts. There is a very slight lip on the exhaust seat that stands proud of the head. Should I try and smooth that lip out or just leave it as is? The other head I bought doesn’t have this high of a lip and the seat sits about flush. Is this worth my concern on a street engine? Should I hit it with my dremel and a stone wheel just to knock the edge down without touching the seat face? I would rather not reassemble it, pack it, ship it back, and wait for my replacement if this isn’t detrimental. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,278 Posts
I normally blend those down with a burr or if it's still in the mill I'll do it there. The seat work looks fine from over here, a vacuum test is best, a solvent test is okay too to check for sealing but to get to your question, It's not going to hurt anything to leave it as is. If you makes you feel better and you have the the means it won't hurt anything to blend it out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normally blend those down with a burr or if it's still in the mill I'll do it there. The seat work looks fine from over here, a vacuum test is best, a solvent test is okay too to check for sealing but to get to your question, It's not going to hurt anything to leave it as is. If you makes you feel better and you have the the means it won't hurt anything to blend it out.
Thank you! I’m going to leave it as is. Grinding that close to the seat makes an amateur like me nervous haha

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,278 Posts
Yep, one jump of the burr and it's a bad news bears.
Layers of tape over the seats help a lot in the event of a get away cutter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts