Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I was wasting time looking for references to hubless wheels and thinking about that wheel thing that tfever fred was talking about,I came across this contraption.

I know it isn't hubless.
BUT!

It is gas powered, single wheeled, balanced with a gyroscope and counterbalances and has no purpose other than to be bizzare means of transportation, suited for one thing....

Cruising around Burning Man festival. :rolleyes: (OR..northern california..)

It was constructed by a person with minimal automotive or fabrication knowledge specifically for being part of that strange event.

Check out his site, with more pics, tech info, a link to a popular science article, and a bunch more weirdness. :thumbup:

http://www.theriotwheel.com/index.html

I wonder what Billy lane will do with that idea. :p

But you never know, better minds than his are playing also,
because while I was wasting even more time on
the net, I came across this,

A Bombardier no less.
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,61216,00.html
It isn't real yet, but someone is spending money on it's development.

Is one wheel what we'll ride in the future?

Later, mikey

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
In my feeble mind, those rank right with sky diving and bungee diving. Weird enough for a few and helps cleanse the gene pool. Did not Jessee James put a motor on a giant wheel and ride it around on a seat mounted on the inside of it?

Trees

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trees, I think that is the best post I've read all week :thumbup:

Hell no I wouldn't ride one!!

I just thought it was interesting , the lengths that someone would go to, to make use of a wheel, for no apparent reason other than to create a spectacle.

That behemouth with the earthmover wheel weighs 1100 pounds. :eek:

That's more than 2 harleys.
I guess people wouldn't look at you as much though.

I guess I should put the monowheel link here.
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm

Later, mikey

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Wild Mikey, WILD! I say thank God for the minds that create stuff like that. This life would be pretty boring if everyone only came up with stuff I do. :p

Brian

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
believe it or not i have seen the giant wheel one that you sit inside it. Last I saw of that was a video of a guy getting it up to a rather good speed and then realizing that testing your brakes at lower speeds is a good idea and flipping end over end down pavement is bad... but as for this idea it does look pretty cool I get this bad feeling like something fails and you get swung back up and into the ground behind you :pain: Other then that though these creations are great and it keeps the good honest inventive person that has given us so much throughout time sometime to keep working on.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
weirdbeard said:
I think Mr. Garason on South Park made something like this once.. :D
Yeah and deathrattle is right.....you don't want to ride IT.

Link to a disturbing Southpark cartoon picture of Mr Garrison's ...wheel. :pain:
http://carnalreason.org/images/misc/wheel.sp.gif

I really don't know how they got that one past the censors.

I know that alot of heavy thought went into that tractor tired burning man rig. One of the guys who worked on it is employed at NASA as an engineer, and the gyroscopic controls that keep the thing upright are pretty sophisticated.

I think it would be a wild ride. I wonder how it does on dirtbike trails?

Later, mikey

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I think thats really cool. I know a young guy that works for NASA. (Yes he is from Alabama!) He might have the knowledge to design something like that but not the hands on skills to build such a ride. It seems like that is a rare combo.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.