Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This step van has been parked for almost 3 years. Doesn't have many miles bit it's been parked in the grass and it's rusty. These pics are from a mechanics inspection in another state. said it started right up but it's rusty and would be a project. Couldn't drive it he said since they were bleeding the brakes.

I only got 2 photos of underneath so IDK what the rest of it looks like but can you tell me how it looks in these pics?

Upper left gas tank I think area looks rusty and that oval dark hole is looking into the frame rail?

Seeing the scaling there makes me worry as it's inside the rail?

I'd like to remove it wire wheel it and paint it btu IDK how far gone it is. It's a $250 1 way trip or a $450 round trip ticket to go check it out. Not many step vans around so I am think about it.

What do you think?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,041 Posts
That isn't rust. That is one winter in PA. In Wisconsin, that would be a picture used to back up the seller's claim that it's "rust free." That requires nothing for the next 20 years.

I have an axle tube on one of my cars right now that has rusted enough that it's leaking oil. I'll start worrying about structural integrity next year. Maybe.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,041 Posts
Just to swing back to this (because it was late last night and I didn't have much energy left)

Frames are usually coated with something cheap to make them look pretty, but they aren't really a proper coating. The water gets in between that coating and the steel and makes a little bit of rust happen. This usually starts the first time you drive it in the rain. What you're seeing is the coating losing adhesion to the steel. Looks scary, but it isn't. It's not big flakes of rust, it's big flakes of coating with a miniscule amount of rust behind it.

Everything that is in those pictures is really heavy, thick-gauge stuff. You have to really abuse it with salt and water for many many years before it would convert enough of that steel to rust that it would become a problem. I just sold a 96 Impala SS that I drove every winter for 25 years. The frame looked like some kind of cookie made out of raisin bran flakes and there was a hole rusted in a quarter panel, but under that rust was still 90% of the original steel. Looked awful, but I had no concerns about it's strength.

Some cars (not box trucks usually) will have some magical place where water, grit, and salt will collect and cause rotting. On G-bodies, it's right in front of the rear axle arch. On Miatas it's the rocker panel frame rail. On Beetles it's at the base of the back seat. But you're looking at a heavy-duty steel ladder frame with really beefy parts. I would say you have 30 more years on the gas tank, 40 more years on the frame, and 20 years on the suspension bits. Longer if you don't use it in salt.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,501 Posts
That isn't rust. That is one winter in PA. In Wisconsin, that would be a picture used to back up the seller's claim that it's "rust free." That requires nothing for the next 20 years.
ain't that the truth. i grew up in wisconsin, i drove a 58 in high school, that is rust free in my book
i live in michigan now, i had to go out of state for my current 58
lip420, have any pics of the van body? if it's as clean as the frame, buy it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy it, I found a 1942 Dodge truck with the original paint on it and many layer of tree sap..It cleaned up very easy.. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts