Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working on this thing all weekend I finally got to the point where I was ready to turn the key. The first start is always an exciting time and nerve racking to boot (it's almost impossible to remember if you've done everything right) but in the end it was definitely worth all the hard work.

Had my wife sit in the cab and turn the key (something i always have her do when I initially start a new engine) this allows me to work the throttle and adjust the distributor. After first discovering that I had forgotten to plug in the starter wire at the ignition switch (there's always some little hiccup), she cranked for about 10 seconds and lit right off. With the turbo tube mufflers the sound is absolutely AWESOME! Took it up to 2000 RPM to break in the cam and had excellent oil pressure (60 psi.). As soon as the cooling system built up a little pressure I discovered a leak at the lower radiator hose fitting. It wasn't bad so I let it run while it leaked water all over the garage floor. Had to add power steering fluid to the pump and while it was running I jacked up the front to cycle the wheel back and forth to get the air out of the system. After the hard time I had installing that damn pump and the hoses I was very pleased that there were no leaks.

After 20 minutes at 2 grand I brought the rpm back down and adjusted the distributor to get a good reliable idle at about 700 rpm. It started to get a little warm (after loosing a bunch of water) so after 25 minutes I shut it down at 200 degrees. Tomorrow I'll fix the radiator hose fitting that's leaking and set the timing a bit better. I may even back it out of the garage under it's own power. Another milestone in the building of a street rod. :)

It's been a long weekend and I'm tired, but all the work was worth it because in the end, there's absolutely nothing that sounds as good as a HEMI! :mwink:

Centerline

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
Congrats Centerline....................you should really be able to pull a 4 furrow plow with that tractor motor...................just kidding.

Us Chevy guys can't help it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Really classy! Congrats Centerline. I hope you plan on running the snot out of it before letting the little Mrs. drive it! Sounds kinda like she's a gearhead too. Hat's off..... And that's coming from a Chevy guy!:thumbup:

·
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!
363 Posts
:eek: you sure your not a Pro? dang man I could imagine that engine bay on a car mag page just so neat and tidey...Wheres the grease at. LOL.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Neat engine bay, Centerline. Now you can start cluttering it up with A/C lines wiring etc. You gotta be proud of your truck and really looking forward to driving it!!!

What's with the jets in your album?

Trees

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
That's one pretty sonofagun Centerline!

Oh yeah, how'bout a sound clip, or some video??:drool:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trees said:
What's with the jets in your album?

Trees
I flew F-4s for 16 years and I have managed systems acquisition on the B-2 and F-117 for the last 15 years. Retiring in 18 days. :mwink:

Centerline

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
Centerline said:
I flew F-4s for 16 years and I have managed systems acquisition on the B-2 and F-117 for the last 15 years. Retiring in 18 days. :mwink:

Centerline

But......WHO"S COUNTING????....eh, buddy. Good for you, can't wait for that day.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Awesome, Centerline. Retiring also, you'll have more time to do the fun stuff. :thumbup: Dan

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
EXCELLENT JOB!!! I can only see one problem. Its parked in the wrong garage.....I know of one just North of Syracuse......

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dinger said:
Awesome, Centerline. Retiring also, you'll have more time to do the fun stuff. :thumbup: Dan
I wish!

It's kinda funny, my last day of work is the 29th and I have to report for jury duty on the 1st.... I can't even sleep in my first official day of retirement! :mad:

Actually as soon as our house sells all the car stuff has to be put on hold for about a year. We're moving to the mountains of Arizona where my son is going to help me build our retirement home (a 3000 sq. ft log home with a 2100 sq. ft. garage/shop). Then I can get back to the "fun" stuff. :)

Centerline

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Your on the down hill run now, looking good.

Troy

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Uh, Center,,,,we need to have a word.

Under NO circumstances is a retirement home to have MORE square footage than the shop!

I think your plans need to be re-evaluated (By me, of course). Lets see, the Mountains of Az., We definately need air conditioning and heat, Need approx. 180 l.f. of bare wall (for Pin Up Girls!), Paint booth, More cabinets than the house, A bigscreen TV, cable (or Sat.),recliner, 12' ceilings for the 2 lifts. 4 post and asymetrical, big frig full of beer (for your buddies, Buddy!)

All in all, I'd say you need about 4,000 s.f. of garage space , backing up to a strip club, of course!! I'll be over when its done!

Your milage may vary!

(Congrats on the retirement! I only have 2.9 decades left)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts