Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my car began leaking coolant and overheating i thought i had blown a head gasket or cracked a head i put in the new head gaskets began putting coolant in and low and behold.Coolant began leaking out f the frost plug.Iwas just wondering how hard it is to put one in and what would one cost.Also would a block heaterr that goes in there work just as well??
thank you
Newport
:D :D :D

·
doesn't play well with others
1,823 Posts
You just learned lesson number one, always pressure test a cooling system before servicing it. The cost of a pressure tester would've saved you the time and cost of replacing head gaskets. The hardest part about changing freeze-out plugs is usually getting to them. If you have room you could try drilling a small hole in the plug and screwing a small slide hammer into her, or drilling a bigger hole and getting something in there to pop her out. Have seen some guys use a thin punch to make a hole, but you don't want to knock the plug in. After you get the old one out you have to tap the new one in flush with the block. I've never seen a block heater in anything but deisel engines.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A frost plug will cost a couple bucks. If you can't get to it to drive a new one in buy a rubber one that you stick in the hole and tighten the nut in the center, put it in dry without any sealer other wise it won't stay in place when you tighten it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts