Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes just like in the late 70's -early 80's..Bad lifters are out there cuz of rushing parts through and bad QC. Wiping out cam's during break in time..Back in the earlier time cam companies said it was cuz the motor oil change its recipe.. Be careful where your buying parts from.. when cam gets flat total engine cleaning and bad parts inside..Good luck all !!!

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I can't tell you how many horrible quality control issues I have dealt with on buying auto parts over the last several years and my Father who works on stuff on the side. He has come across so many issues and things just out right failing within short order its just plain horrible. The stuff you get nowadays is not very reliable and you can get something that will be fine at first and even if you don't use it that much and then the next time you use it then it can just go bad without any signs.

I think the days of any good quality stuff on average across the board are gone and will only get worse with the way things are going on overseas and with China in general as they make almost 90 percent of the stuff we get and with the political ramblings going on will only make things work. Even stuff American made is not like what "Made in the USA" use to be.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
Hasn’t been for decades the country is run by finance people who figured out that mass production without quality inspection is so financially profitable that it’s cheaper to transfer quality inspection to the end user who even if they need to return the part the supply chain still makes money if they need to replace it under a warrantee. That likely tells you that parts are about twice as expensive to buy than the cost of making and delivering that part to the the retailer. We the end users have become their Quality Control department.

Consider that places like Amazon and Costco don’t restock returns they dump it all in a big box then sell these Grab Bag boxes for a few hundred bucks or just trash it.

Bogie

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Everyone blames China for poor automotive parts...I assure you I'd take a pallet of Chinese synchro rings over an entire container ship from India. My boss actually got in an argument with India Bevel Gear about being willing to pay MORE than the minimum, in order to get parts made according to the print. The representative was very insistent that if you make the parts cheap enough; your clients wont care

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Everyone blames China for poor automotive parts...I assure you I'd take a pallet of Chinese synchro rings over an entire container ship from India. My boss actually got in an argument with India Bevel Gear about being willing to pay MORE than the minimum, in order to get parts made according to the print. The representative was very insistent that if you make the parts cheap enough; your clients wont care
Sometimes free is still too much.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Sometimes free is still too much.
The sad thing is they were OUR prints (for an industrial app that was already using them). They said it wasnt worth the extra money to actually make the parts to the print, which implies they never intended to do it when the customer hired them in the first place.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
To me its not necessarily China that is the problem but the American companies along with International companies overseas in other countries that figured out the way of getting rid of high labor costs by sending stuff to be made elsewhere for way less and not having to pay employees good wages along with health care and other things.

From what I know about history and watching documentaries and watching old stuff on how American was made and coming about to what is the current state its in, its just cooperate greed that is the bottom line that has changed the landscape of things for the most part and also people wanting things for the cheap but yet a lot of things are not of the cheap as even in the older days from what I remember as a kid growing up, stuff was there that was American made and did not cost more then what some stuff made elsewhere the quality was not much different.

From what I can see looking back on things I have watched I would say after World War 2 was when things got the best for America and went on really well through the late 60's and early 70's but it was slowly after the mid 70's that good paying American jobs started to disappear and go elsewhere as companies figured out ways to get rid of the extra money used here in the States and got better ideas on how to make even more money elsewhere for just spending pennies on the dollar. The big 80's boom with tech and other factors also played apart in things on how the big fortune 500 companies figured out the cheapest way to make products and pay less wages and eliminate benefits altogether for the most part and the guys at the top made even more money as time went on.

Where I live its a small town with only about 30'000 and we used to be a good town for local jobs that were good paying and had some big name companies like GE that used to make stuff here but they eventually closed down and sent things overseas beyond China and stuff and shut down to make more money for the bottom line and not caring about the folks at the bottom who make all the money for ones at the top.

Now all we have is fast food joints and pizza shops and auto parts stores. For a lot of places there running out of countries of being able to make things cheap and get the most profit.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
a friend has a brand new Ford SUV, which has a touch screen in the dash that controls most everything. The screen died. Local dealer said they are not accepting any service appointments till May. Ford corporate customer service says they can't do anything. $55k vehicle that is not really useable and the manufacturer is not really interested in helping a customer. the problems are deeper than just bad parts quality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hasn’t been for decades the country is run by finance people who figured out that mass production without quality inspection is so financially profitable that it’s cheaper to transfer quality inspection to the end user who even if they need to return the part the supply chain still makes money if they need to replace it under a warrantee. That likely tells you that parts are about twice as expensive to buy than the cost of making and delivering that part to the the retailer. We the end users have become their Quality Control department.

Consider that places like Amazon and Costco don’t restock returns they dump it all in a big box then sell these Grab Bag boxes for a few hundred bucks or just trash it.

Bogie
Exactly , I bought a external wireless speaker at a box store. I returned it because it wasn’t working right ( it could have been me hooking it up wrong ). Anyhow , the minute they heard not working right , they threw it in a dumpster. No questions . It was a $100 item . I got a refund . What a waste !

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
To me its not necessarily China that is the problem but the American companies along with International companies overseas in other countries that figured out the way of getting rid of high labor costs by sending stuff to be made elsewhere for way less and not having to pay employees good wages along with health care and other things.

From what I know about history and watching documentaries and watching old stuff on how American was made and coming about to what is the current state its in, its just cooperate greed that is the bottom line that has changed the landscape of things for the most part and also people wanting things for the cheap but yet a lot of things are not of the cheap as even in the older days from what I remember as a kid growing up, stuff was there that was American made and did not cost more then what some stuff made elsewhere the quality was not much different.

From what I can see looking back on things I have watched I would say after World War 2 was when things got the best for America and went on really well through the late 60's and early 70's but it was slowly after the mid 70's that good paying American jobs started to disappear and go elsewhere as companies figured out ways to get rid of the extra money used here in the States and got better ideas on how to make even more money elsewhere for just spending pennies on the dollar. The big 80's boom with tech and other factors also played apart in things on how the big fortune 500 companies figured out the cheapest way to make products and pay less wages and eliminate benefits altogether for the most part and the guys at the top made even more money as time went on.

Where I live its a small town with only about 30'000 and we used to be a good town for local jobs that were good paying and had some big name companies like GE that used to make stuff here but they eventually closed down and sent things overseas beyond China and stuff and shut down to make more money for the bottom line and not caring about the folks at the bottom who make all the money for ones at the top.

Now all we have is fast food joints and pizza shops and auto parts stores. For a lot of places there running out of countries of being able to make things cheap and get the most profit.

Sounds like Pittsfield, Mass?

Bogie

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I am in Ohio lol but the Pittsfield would be a good name for my town I live in. Was once a booming town with a lot of high paying factory jobs and good benefits and many were big name companies and the town has become a desert and has jumped big time with drugs becoming the big problem that we once never had. It was once a good town to live in but now its just in the "Pitts"

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
My wife is from Pittsfield, Mass; same thing GE was the big employer in a small town of about 30,000 making transformers and plastics. Pulled up stakes, closed down everything leaving the town with deserted factory buildings, a PCB polluted river (it‘s suggested you don’t eat the fish you catch), massive unemployment, destroyed property values and a drug problem.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Yeah were the spot where GE once stood is just a old decrepit parking lot that has been barren for over 30 years and no business can ever go there in its place. The plant we had even though I never worked there, made circuit boards and plastics and some other things most likely like your plant in Pittsfield MA. There was a river just in front of it across the street so over the years in our town there is only certain fish they recommend that you can eat and at times give warning and stuff. We had other factories that paid real good as well such as a big time glove factory that made all kinds of gloves and also some factories that made car mats for automobiles for the big three Detroit auto makers and some other places.

Now there all gone and our town is kind of like what Detroit is. There was once a booming town here but now its just full of drug addicts and abandon parking lots where the good paying job places once were. A lot of the retired folks who used to be here either passed away or have left town and as the years went on the town has gone to pot without any revenue to help keep it going. Our highlight is a Walmart super center lol.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Funny that - I am so fed up with FT lifters, I am trying my own devices and keeping ALL the old school ones coming out of engines from here forward.

Just last week I heated up 8 lifters to around 350 just blue and dunked them in oil to see if they will last this time round.. this for a basic FT GM inline 4 with superbly stock spring pressures. Used lucas break in bla bla. fwiw timken is made in china too, mercedes has one major plant there too- not everything in china sucks but it sure is sketchy these days.

20 years ago I was cutting my teeth on a small ford kent 1600 GT, ported, the lot - man i swapped so many cams on that same set of lifters it was comical. Either way last year wife and I went on vacation, an old man wanted to buy that exact car/motor- poured gas down and it fired up in 30s after standing 5 years by the coast.

I would say GM performance lifters are about the only shelf ones I would probably buy apart form the fact that I have about 60 here from sealed power -

·
Registered
34 Ford, 502 BBC 6 speed Tremec
166 Posts
I just installed Comp Cam w flat tappet lifters when I rebuilt the 396 in y 69 Chevelle. I used the Break in oil and assembly lube from Comp Cams, followed break in instructions. I just did an oil change at 600 miles and could not find any sign of metal in the oil or filter. Comp cam also has an additive to use when you change oil. Todays oil is lacking Zinc that is in the additive. But aside from that Todays after market parts are a poor quality comparative to what we had in the 70's. I get a lot more defective new parts and others that last only 100 - 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Don't blame China, they are just filling a market need.
Americans are cheap, don't want to pay the money for quality, demand high wages, won't work for it either. Good ole American greed.
China is just offering it, Americans can't buy enough if it.
That's not a fair statement about American workers, or Americans in general. But it's a sad state of affairs when we rely so heavily on a communist country's manufacturers with little to no QA, and near-slave labor. Unfortunately, other free countries around the world are doing the same, and I don't see them as being greedy. We're all just buying what's available. And for me, I'll buy American, or at least non-communist when I can -- price be damned.

As for cams and lifters, the last set I bought was from Jones Cam designs, and I doubt I'll ever buy from anyone else. Gone are the days when you could improperly install a Summit cam kit, and it still wouldn't fail.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Agree - i see the GM performance also have the stellite discs on the ft lifters, i wouldnt pass them by either..

As for cams and lifters, the last set I bought was from Jones Cam designs, and I doubt I'll ever buy from anyone else. Gone are the days when you could improperly install a Summit cam kit, and it still wouldn't fail.

·
Registered
34 Ford, 502 BBC 6 speed Tremec
166 Posts
So not to beat a dead horse, but I got this part today and thought of this post.
At first look I thought they put the sticker on the wrong side, but then I noticed that he didn't, because it was also stamped in the metal, so he did his job right. I guess I have been putting them in backwards for the last 50 years????
Crankset Gear Font Tool Auto part

Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

1 - 20 of 22 Posts