Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i been build street machines for a while. my new project is finally gonna be a 350 chevy small block. i ve been searching forums and every camshaft thread has a good oppinion about the 268XE compcam. why? is it really the next best thing? are they paying you? are that many people really running them on their hot rods? if so im gonna take everybodies advice., but there might be something else going on here. is this a word of mouth thing,that just travels cause it sounds good.

in the end this is just another "what cam for my 3.42 geared 3800lbs cruiser"

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
268 is a low end cam that works out well for most motors that don't have a whole lot of radical upgrades. THey work well in motors with stock compression and stock heads, good cam for a 350.

If you're building something more aggressive, its not going to be enough cam.

K

·
The lean mean donut machine
386 Posts
yes, I really do use the XE268, it's a great cam for a 350 and no I'm not advertising it. It's got a power range that seems to be just right for a stock stall, it "kicks in" at around 1800 RPMs and pulls hard up to nearly 6000, at least in my car it does. Don't ask me why, it just seems like it fits that magical combination in 350s with the heads and manifolds that are commonly used. It may be that higher compression engines like them more, I'm not sure as I don't have an argument for lower CRs. The specs are 224/230 at .050, 268/280 adv, .477/.480 lift with 1.5 rockers.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I personally had a 355 with Vortec heads and the XE268H cam. The motor ran really well, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a really good performing cam with great streetability. If I had the motor to do again though, I would go with the XE274H because my motor had plenty of low end, but could have used a little top end. The only thing about the XE274H is that you shouldent run it with a stock converter. If you dont mind paying for a new 2400 stall converter, I would recommend the 274 over the 268 in street/strip application that is still driven alot on the street.

Adam

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 383 had that cam in it ...the engine had to be rebuilt after less than 2000 miles on its first built as a 383 caused principally by oil rings failure. My machinist told me the lobes are already showing some surprising wear for such low miles! This match few readings I made about the same concern expressed about their relative softness and premature wearing....going with Lunati this time.

Ron.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I've got an XE268 in my 406...the second one because I lost a lobe on the first one. I like it for the low end.

I'm going to replace the L-79 cam in my 383 with an XE274...manual trans. It needs more guts. Comp had an ad a while back that stated the XE274 produced 70-80 more hp than the L-79 in a 350. We'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.