Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's for either a 302, 327 or 350 small block chevy. the casting number is 3790010, the only other numbers on the block is GM35 and there is a S010 can anyone help me narrow it down, thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It doesn't really matter on that block. The 302, 327 and 350 blocks were all 4" bores. The crank is what mattered. If you have that but can't read the casting number; just measure the stroke: 3" - 302, 3.25" - 327, 3.48" - 350. The only way to narrow down what it was originally would be to figure out the number at the front passenger side, if it hasn't been milled off. If it hasn't hopefully this site will help: http://www.mortec.com/locatpg2.htm (ENGINE ASSEMBLY DATE / SUFFIX CODE)
Good Luck
Howard

·
Registered
113 Posts
It doesn't really matter on that block. The 302, 327 and 350 blocks were all 4" bores. The crank is what mattered. If you have that but can't read the casting number; just measure the stroke: 3" - 302, 3.25" - 327, 3.48" - 350. The only way to narrow down what it was originally would be to figure out the number at the front passenger side, if it hasn't been milled off. If it hasn't hopefully this site will help: http://www.mortec.com/locatpg2.htm (ENGINE ASSEMBLY DATE / SUFFIX CODE)
Good Luck
Howard

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, I did write down the casting numbers on the head, passenger side where the water pump bolts in. I don't have the numbers with me now but I'll get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Are you sure your number is right? I find 3970010 for a 69 302 and it is a 4 bolt main block. There is also 3970010 for 69-80 350 that can be either a 2 or 4 bolt main and was used in pass. cars, truck, Vette, Camaro, Chevelle, and Nova. You will need the stamped assembly code number to determine exactly what you have IF the real casting number is as above. IF it is as you posted, I do not have a clue as to what it is since that number is not in my data base.

Trees

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.