Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum,

Does anyone know where I can buy the Iwata Clone that I have been reading soo much about? I can't seem to find any Ebay sellers that have it, or maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Thanks

Luis

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
it is not a clone. it is just another cheap gun that will not perform. save your money until you can buy a decent gun.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
By the time you waste your $$$$ on a clone (or several) plus your $$$$ on paint plus then how many hours fixing the mess, you could have bought that Iwata/SATA/other good gun. There are some folks here that love the HF purple gun, others the Astro - but the Iwata and other pro level guns are more then worth the bucks. I may never ever use mine again (nah, I will) but it was still well worth what I paid for it :D

If you want a clone, it MIGHT be fine for primers. And I do have a lower level $120 gun for them, tho not a clone

Dave W

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I had a few posts in the long iwata clone thread. There were several different clones mentioned in that thread. I bought the cheap zhipp gun off of ebay, and believe that seller is long gone now. Bondoking had a version made by astero if I can remember correctly.
Mine sprayed decently, and bought to try out and see how it performed for such a low cost. I wouldn't call it an hvlp gun like it was advertised, or like a real iwata is. It still sprayed with a fair amount of overspray, allthough not as bad as other conventionals I have used in the past. Plus was it isn't an air hog, and probably could be powered by a smaller compressor then I have.

I had a few problems with it, biggest being the plastic cup cracked soon after, and had to go get a stainless cup from harbor freight. Basically throw it away when it breaks, because its going to either be difficult to get parts for, or they would probably cost more then you paid for the gun in the first place.

I still have the gun, although I haven't used it in quite awhile. Last time I tried using it, I must have not have cleaned it well enough, and need to tear it apart and clean.

Since that time, I bought the real deal, iwata lph400lv. I had always planned on spending the money for a good gun anyways (had a 200 gun I used for many years spraying base, but was still using cheaper conventionals for clear).

Although that cheap knockoff gun is suppose to be a copy of the iwata w400, in no way does it compare to the iwata lph I now have. That said, it doesn't spray too bad for the price. But if you do any amount of painting, save up for one of the top guns. As others said, they will soon pay for themselves in saved material and redos, and make your life a ton easier.

After using the real iwata a few times now, no way I'd want to go back to a cheap gun. Even though It took me awhile to invest in one of the top rated guns and I got by and decent results for quite a many years using less expensive guns. A good gun like the iwata I have now, make getting those results much less effortless and are worth the cost. They also seem to handle the higher solids clears of today much better, and you no longer have to dump on the clear attempting to leave no dry areas, which can lead to things like solvent pop or dieback. Save your money for the best gun you can afford if you plan to do any amount of painting, they are worth it.

·
The Penny Pincher
1,951 Posts
The copy gun bondoking had sprayed real good the first couple of times but
he's never been able to get it to spray right since.
kinda strange, but he's got a real Iwata now and has given up on the cheapie.
I have seen some of the Astro guns do pretty well.
they seem to be a better quality than the other copy guns,
Their machining and finish is noticeably better.
I still prefer my Astro HVLP for base, but for clear, the Iwata rules.:pimp:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
=

Seems like this gun is impossible to get, there are soo many look a likes but none of them look exactly like the Rong Peng RP8201/W-400 W-400B gun. I have seen some that are pretty close however they have arched pistol grips instead of the straight pistol grip that the Anest Iwata lph400 has.

So hard to believe that they are so hard to come by.

Luis =(

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
If you don't mind not having HVLP, Campbell Hausfeld has a gravity feed gun that works very well and it's like $27 at walmart. HF has a copy of the gun, but it isn't as nice altho the parts interchange...

·
Registered
191 Posts
astro guns

I have 3 astro guns. all gravity feed hvlps. I is a 1.3 i use for clears a 1.4 i use for base and a 1.9 i use for hi bild primer. They work great. But i just bought a used SATA nr95 for 80 bucks and thats gonna be my topcoat gun. Ya gotta watch used SATAS as there replacement parts are big$$$$$$. Later Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.