Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the width (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface) of a '77 XJ-6 IRS? I've googled this every way I can think of and can't find it.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,774 Posts
Let's see... the tread on my 63 Rambler Classic is factory spec'd at 58" w/6" wheels, ~3" backset. So the Jag axle is ~63" flange to flange (give or take an inch). I had to use deep offset wheels to fit a Jag axle under my Rambler. The wheels are 7" wide, 5.5" backset. They are about 3/4" further out on each side than the stock wheels would have. Hope that helps!

Stock Jag wheels are deep backset. The hubs use a 5x4.75" pattern (big Chevy). It's hard to find wheels under 8" wide to fit, or wheels with a deep backset since only rear drive Chevy trucks now use this pattern. Mostly big, wide wheels. I had to use multi pattern Weld Drag Lite wheels to get the offset and bolt pattern needed. You can get the Jag hubs redrilled for 5x4.5" pattern, but it's expensive. The heads of the new studs must be machined to fit after installing to clear a seal or flange, IIRC. That's why I didn't do it.

Google around, you can find a couple companies who will machine your hubs if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts