Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jag V12 engine I intend to install in my 1935 Hudson coupe. It now has 4 side-draft stomberg carbs making it too wide. I was wondering about the availability of intake manifolds for this engine which alow the place-ment of carbs above the valley as a typical domestic V8 wether for the original carbs or 4bbls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know about available inlet manifolds, but is using the stock Jaguar fuel injection not an option? Failing that what about a custom made or sheet metal inlet?
Gareth.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not a fan of fuel injection and as my V12 has original carbs I thought I'ld try that route first. If no useful intake manifolds are available I will make my own, however I would prefer a manufactured one as it would have balanced & tested flow ports. I just hoped such a manifold would be available since the engine type has been around for some time now. Its a 1976 327ci or 5.3? ltr. Thanx for your input.
~~Metalman~~

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just read this topic, i know it´s an old one, but it´s very interesting, because of the Jaguar Engine.....over here in germany we have some guys who use old Jaguar V12 for Oldstyle Hot Rods....because it´s a lot cheaper than a Flathead ;)

Here is a big Photo of one of this guys ;)
He uses 6 Beetle Carburators... ;)

Keep Rockin!
Mike
http://www.konfederateklassiks.de/product_img/hbigmauchner.JPG[/img]
To see a bigger image klick here:
<a href="http://www.konfederateklassiks.de/history/big.php?bigimg=mauchner.JPG]http://www.konfederateklassiks.de/history/big.php?bigimg=mauchner.JPG

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Smokin Mike ]</p>

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
-Jag-Lovers- would probably be his best source of information.

There should be an unwritten rule here that once someone is referred to another site for info, that they be required to return here to report what they have found and of course to continue participating here... :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx, Smokin Mike for the pic, and Kultulz for the link. It'll take awhile to check it out thoroughly, very indepth. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
No Problem ;)
If i see anything which is interesting i´ll let you know :)

Keep Rockin!
And Burning rubber!

PS:

Here is a little pic of me and some friends at a german hot rod race....

Have fun, burn your wheels! :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think this sort of behaviour should be banned at once, it is irresponsable & dangerous.
What if you left black rubber marks on the tarmac.......well...well...you'd have to look at them for weeks & what if someones hair caught fire or or someone farted...then what!
Ok Ok Koool pics. But still ya won't catch me doin it! :D

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Ya' know, we had an old beater that we put tranny fluid under the tire, and it did the same thing. We couldn't drive fast enough to put it out! We found out that tire fires are reeeaally hard to put out! :D

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
The sidedrafts of course won't work on the down flow,which should be easy to fabricate. While the beetle carbs are interesting, I think they would be somewhat restrictive. Since you'd be building the intake you could build it for any number of easily accessible carbs, I'd stick with 2 bbl's for the visual effect. Holleys or the old Ford 2bbl would be nice, but the Rochester 2bbl that was on so many older GM cars are pretty reliable and trouble free. Stay away from the Jag injection, like many Jag items it is "quirky" and not easily modified (or cheaply). They are beautiful engines and will look great in any rod.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Remember those beautiful Ferrari V12's with the four Webers on top?

A fabricated 'log' style manifold shouldn't be impossible to build. When I was a kid there were any number of cars with six or eight carburetors feeding a hemi or Olds and inevitably the manifolds were owner built but worked well. A few after market suppliers manufactured them also.

It would seem to me that using local parts on a local rod makes more sense. You trying to dig up Rochesters or Stromberg 97's makes as much sense as me in SoCal searching for vintage Fiat parts for my ride.

:cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for all the new responses & pic. I have a tubing bending machine for 1/2 to 2 1/2 in. diam pipe which would be useful to build an intake.Slider, I was wondering if you could refer me to a site or have a pic of a "log-style intake" you refered to so I can have a look. I've also been kicking around the idea of building a very mild (1/2 psi) belt-driven supercharger to keep the side-drafts and aid the balancing of the intake charge to each cylinder. Any thoughts? I already have a few balanced aluminum vacuum turbines. thanx again ~~Metalman~~

·
Registered
92 Posts
Talkin of V12's anyone got any pics of rods with Alison power?? thats always interested me, i wasn't lucky enough to see any when i was at the Salt Flats a few years back. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts