Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
It's been about a year since I did my last gear swap. With help from here, it all worked out really well.
For some reason, I'm having much more trouble this time than the others. This is my 4th gear swap.

Axle is a Dana 44, reverse rotation.
I have setup bearings for the pinion and the carrier bearing shims go on the outside of the race.

Here's my first pattern.

I do not have the correct pinion pre-load set, is this something that needs to be done for a correct pattern.
I'm using the stock pinion shim right now.

Thank you again.

Attachments

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,613 Posts
Is this a 2 cut gear or a 5 cut gear? They dont set up the same. I believe most Dana gears are now 2 cut. The backlash is much tighter for 2 cut gears and the pattern looks a little different.

Pinion bearing preload needs to be set for each trial assembly. You do not need to use the pinion spacer when doing this. You can save that for the final assembly.

You don't seem to be too far off.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a 2 cut gear or a 5 cut gear? They dont set up the same. I believe most Dana gears are now 2 cut. The backlash is much tighter for 2 cut gears and the pattern looks a little different.

Pinion bearing preload needs to be set for each trial assembly. You do not need to use the pinion spacer when doing this. You can save that for the final assembly.

You don't seem to be too far off.
It's a 2008 Jeep. I'm using Yukon gears and install kit. The spec sheet lists them as 5 cut.
I have the carrier out right now without any other changes. I have the old crush sleeve in. I'll start with the pre-load and recheck. The preload specs are 22-35 for new bearings. I'll shoot for that.

My backlash is at .009. Factory was .008. Specs are from 6 to 10.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
pattern in 1a looks pretty good.
pattern in 2b looks not very good.
for a 5 cut gear, I would move the pinion closer by about 0.004" and try again

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting binding when checking for preload. I assume that's from the pinion nut being too tight.
I'm using a new (cheap) bearing for the inner and the stock bearing for the outer. The specs are for 22-35 new and 12-15 old bearings. I will be replacing the bearings with new ones for the final assembly. What should the preload be.

Thank.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wonder if I don't have the "JK" axle. My jeep is the JK, but there is a new version of these axles. I'll look into that. That would also mean I'll be redoing the ring gear bolts.
The install kit came with 2 sets of ring gear bolts. The set that fits my application is much thinner in diameter, so maybe the other bigger set of bolts are for a more heavy duty assembly, requiring more preload?

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a little bit of searching, I'm pretty sure I do have the JK dana 44.
I've removed the pinion, went up by .0004 shim and removed the spacer. And this time I lightly greased the bearing, not just some oil.
I have the pinion snugged into place but not torqued down. What should my torque be? I feel like I should stick to the specs.
I called Yukon, but no answer. Probably closed for the weekend.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I don't worry about torque or preload when checking the pattern, just tighten the nut till you have some resistance to rotation approximating the final preload amount. Preload doesn't change the pattern.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead with the Spec sheet torque.
I added .004 to pinion shim, removed the spacer and torqued to about 22 in/lb. Spec, according to Yukon is 22-35. The pinion is a little grabby at this point.

Backlash is 8, spec is 6-10. Here's the new pattern.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
3b looks good.
3a has the pinion a little deep. You won't get a great pattern on coast and drive with this gear set.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I run it as is, or is there more I can do to make it better.
I got nothing but time, all winter as a mater of fact. After the gears, suspension and tires, I'm swapping in a hemi and a different trany.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try the pinion shim. How can I tighten up the back lash. I think I still have about .002 to go and still stay in spec.
I think it's from adding a carrier shim? to which side?
Thanks.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,613 Posts
I don't rmember ever seeing a recommended pinion bearing preload that high. I would say that 19 to 21 woudl be more like it. I haven't done a lot of Dana 44s, so this may be one that I haven't seen before.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm gonna call and talk to them in person before going ahead with it.
And I have factory service manuals coming in the mail, I'll double check with that also.
Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dropped .002 off the pinion and tighten the backlash .001 (approx). I added shims to gear side. I think it's at about .007, spec is .006-.010. That extra little bit took a lot more maneuvering to get the carrier in.
I'm now realizing the value of good tools (which I don't have). I will be getting better one's for the rear swap.
Here's the newest pattern.
Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am concerned about the last pattern. I'm still waiting on parts so I have not done the final assembly. Is this good to go?

Thank you again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts