Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m in the midst of building my new power plant. I’ve been coming to the forum to help me through some trouble spots on the build with a ton of success getting the answers I need from members of this forum. So I’m back for more clarification. I’ve got my short block assembled and ready for heads. Im running afr eliminator 220 with Jesel sportsman shaft mounts. First and foremost has anyone install these on a small block check with afr heads before. So jesel provides a replacement low profile head bolt for the center head bolts since the rocker stand will be going over them. Problem I’m having is that the head bolt is too long, so the bolts don’t seat all the way into the head. Not sure if the bolt is bottomed out on the threads or if the bolt is running all the way up to
The top of the threads. My second problem is that I was planning on using head studs. So if I use the head the bolts that come with jesel can I use the head studs in all the other holes or is it an all or nothing type of scenario with that?

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
The Jessel kit for the AFR head includes the special bolts. They are a rolled thread not cut so advancing the the thread with a tap is not a good form of repair. You need to contact Jessel directly see the link for phone number.

You cannot use studs in those locations, there is no ready made solution that I’m aware of.

Bogie

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Jessel kit for the AFR head includes the special bolts. They are a rolled thread not cut so advancing the the thread with a tap is not a good form of repair. You need to contact Jessel directly see the link for phone number.

You cannot use studs in those locations, there is no ready made solution that I’m aware of.

Bogie
Yeah those special bolts are the ones I’m talking about the just seem to stop before bottoming in the head.

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Can you fit a standard hardened washer under the bolt head that both doesn’t run the threads out clearance to the block and allows the rocker shaft boss to seat on the head? Typically there is a hardened washer used between a fastener’s head whether a bolt‘s head or a stud’s nut and the softer aluminum to prevent galling the aluminum which will cause a false torque reading.

Bogie

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you fit a standard hardened washer under the bolt head that both doesn’t run the threads out clearance to the block and allows the rocker shaft boss to seat on the head? Typically there is a hardened washer used between a fastener’s head whether a bolt‘s head or a stud’s nut and the softer aluminum to prevent galling the aluminum which will cause a false torque reading.

Bogie
I was thinking the same thing. The jesel kit did not come with any and I’m not sure if there would be room between the stand and the bolt if there was a washer.

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Did they provide instructions with the kit?

Another trick could be enough counterbore on the block threads to get some clearance, although given torque loads on the bolts I’m a little reticent considering you’ll take a thread or two out of the block.

Bogie

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they provide instructions with the kit?

Another trick could be enough counterbore on the block threads to get some clearance, although given torque loads on the bolts I’m a little reticent considering you’ll take a thread or two out of the block.

Bogie
Not one page of actual instructions. Just one page if torque specs and nothing else. Honestly if it weren’t for these weird bolts I wouldn’t need an instructions it’s super straight forward but the bolts throw a wrench in the pot. Also now I need to know I I can use head studs all the other cylinder head bolts

·
Registered
442 Posts
You have to be careful when tightening a bolt or stud into a blind hole. You do not want to break thru. So if your bolts are bottoming out before they tighten on the head, you would have to use hardened washers. ARP probably has them available. I would contact the Jessel customer service department and ask them whats wrong. You also need to be sure that you establish the correct geometry between the rocker arm and the valve tip. There are lots of varibles in how people build/assemble engines, so it best to check.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke to jesel they said that there are 2 different lengths of head bolts the provide. It just so happens that the longer set is what the default option is with their kit. They have both available through them directly. I will be checking valve tip contact pattern when I get to that step. Just waiting on jesels checking jig in the mail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.