Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of Joe Gibbs Racing oil? I have a flat tappet yet to be fired up, you know the story.

the Shop that put my bottom end together has reccomended it, but of course I gotta ask. :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,316 Posts
Jeff The Ruler said:
Has anyone heard of Joe Gibbs Racing oil? I have a flat tappet yet to be fired up, you know the story.

the Shop that put my bottom end together has reccomended it, but of course I gotta ask. :thumbup:
Really expensive boutique racing oil that's claimed to be useful in street engine's. However, for most part it's formulated for high lead race fuel, methanol, and nitro fuels in engine's with loose clearances. This is solving a different problem from street engines so let how you use the motor be your guide. Certainly, the BR break-in oil would be a good way to start up your flat tappet cam and it's moderately priced as high quality oils go.

Bogie

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Flat tappet oil

There was a recent post on here about a lab test on Shell Rotella 15W40 and Motorcraft Diesel 15W40 turns out that Rotellas' new Formula is in the low 1100's in ZDDP the Motorcraft is in the mid 1300's ZDDP content, about the same as Gibb's oil,the Motorcraft is available at your local Wal-Mart. :thumbup:For a little extra protection both Comp Cams and Red-Line offer a break-in supplement that works well.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
JeffB said:
There was a recent post on here about a lab test on Shell Rotella 15W40 and Motorcraft Diesel 15W40 turns out that Rotellas' new Formula is in the low 1100's in ZDDP the Motorcraft is in the mid 1300's ZDDP content...
I believe this information is already outdated...which is a huge problem right now with selecting a break in oil or daily use oil for a flat tappet cam. I HIGHLY recommend that you not depend on the zinc/phosphorus ratings posted on this forum or any other automotive forums. These blends are being changed yearly...if not more often...in order to meet EPA standards and more importantly, the automotive manufacturer's requirements for catalytic converters (the zinc in oil eats them up). And the zinc content is going down, down, down.

The best thing to do is check the oil company's web site for the most recent MSDS or tech sheet for the specific oil you are considering. I believe the 2009 MSDS for the Rotella R series has dropped the zinc content into the 800-900 PPM category. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I think the above quote is actually referring to Mobil 1 Turbo Truck Diesel - which still does (at my last reading) have zinc content over 1100 PPM. But again, don't trust me or any other forum post...not because we are necessarily wrong...but because the blends change and the info that we relied upon simply gets outdated in a big hurry. What you bought last year may not be the same as what your are buying this year, even though it is in the exact same bottle.

Just as an aside (not necessarily a recommendation), after MUCH research I finally ended up selecting Chevron Delo 400LE as my base oil (1100 ppm on their 2009 MSDS). [Edited 7/29/2009 - I made a slight error here. The Delo 400LE 10-30 is indeed, 1100 ppm. However, the 15W-40, which I am using, is currently 1300 ppm. Here is that MSDS.] But then I am adding Lucas Break in Oil Additive. Note here...this is not Lucas's typical oil treatment or supplement, which is of questionable value in many engines. Rather, this is a relatively new product and is basically just a big bottle of zinc. The data sheet from Lucas states that when blended with a typical motor oil it will have a net zinc content in the range of 5,000 ppm. Most flat tappet cam manufacturers recommend a zinc content of at least 1200 ppm and preferably much more.

Also, keep in mind that even the MSDS published by the mfr can sometimes be a bit misleading. The very best info on zinc phosphate content comes from independent lab testing. Not something you and I can normally afford but you can occasionally find published data comparing various blends. Again, the problem is that by the time these reports get written and then passed around on the web, they can become outdated. So be very careful to look at the date of publication and the date when the tests were done.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Huneycutt said:
Gibbs has a hot rod oil that's good stuff and a little bit cheaper than the all-out racing oil.
Here's the Gibbs promo on this new oil. Go to the bottom of the page and click on "Tech Data Sheet" to get the specific info. Currently this blend has 1270 ppm Zinc or .127% by weight.

BTW, I meant nothing against JG oil in my earlier comments. They do blend up some very good high zinc oils. My understanding is that the Joe Gibbs team blended their own oils in house for a number of years for use by all their race cars. But they discovered they could reduce their overhead and the cost of their own oils if they began to mass produce their blends and sell them to the public. Others may know the details a bit better.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Delo 400 LE 15w40 still has a sufficient amount of zinc according to the latest lab reports I have read posted on other forums.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
GMC boogie said:
Delo 400 LE 15w40 still has a sufficient amount of zinc according to the latest lab reports I have read posted on other forums.
Delo 400 LE is what I am using in my newly rebuilt 302 (with flat tappet cam) BUT it is no longer quite up to par in terms of zinc content. [Edited 7/29/2009 - See following post from me for correction.]And this is what I have been saying in terms of not going by posts, particularly older posts, on ANY automotive forum. You need to check the CURRENT MSDS at the mfr. web site.

Delo 400 LE, for example was dropped to 1100 ppm just this year (as reflected in their 2009 MSDS). That is really on the fringe of being adequate for a flat tappet...particularly for break in. This can easily be overcome, however, by simply adding a bottle of ZDDP, like Lucas Break in Suppliment, or any of the other good zinc additives. [As noted in the following post, Delo 400LE 10W-30 is 1100 ppm and 15W-40 is 1300 ppm as of May 2009.]

I'm not trying to pick on you GMC boogie, but I can't stress enough that THINGS ARE CHANGING in the field of oil blends. And often times google searches or searches on this site will turn up threads from one to five years old. And when it comes to motor oil, that is ancient history. And you can do some serious damage to your engine (or at least your cam) if you rely on those threads and don't do your own research on the current blend. As I said, the bottles and the names often look exactly like they used to. That is for marketing purposes. But what's inside has changed. And not for the better if you have a flat tappet cam.

So don't believe me. Don't believe posts on the automotive sites. And don't believe the guy on the bar stool next to you. Do your own homework by getting the current, 2009, MSDS or Tech Sheet Data direct from the company web site.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
GMC Boogie,

I owe you a huge apology. After double checking my links you are indeed correct. The Delo LE400 15w-40 does indeed contain 1300 ppm zinc and is therefore quite adequate for flat tapped cams. In my haste I had pulled up the PDF copy of the MSDS that I had for Delo LE 10w-30 rather than 15W-40 which I also had.

I guess it just proves once again how careful one must be in researching and selecting your oil. Or in the alternative, don't turn 64 years old like me and start loosing your mind.

Dewey

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I seem to remember a thread on here a while ago where an engineer explained how modern oils had way more zddp than was needed for flat cams. Can't remember the title though. I do believe the Rotella is more than enough, especially to use AFTER break-in.

·
Registered
774 Posts
No problem Dewey, I read that information posted a couple of months ago by a person on "team Chevelle" who has oils lab tested.....things very well could have changed since then.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use Valvoline VR-1 racing oil, available at most NAPA stores.

ZDDP, as taken from their last online spec sheet, 0.140/0.130. Seem to be enough for my CC XE274H cam. Been using it for about 2-3 years since I built the engine. Also added GM EOS for break in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.