Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so if i got a good 350 4 bolt junkyard motor ( runs good ,no smoke ) and the comp 280 H "K" cam kit (cam,Lifters,Matched Valve Springs ,Valve Spring Retainers,Valve Locks, Valve Stem,Seals ,Timing Chain set, COMP Cams® Assembly Lube, Decals ,Instructions, )should it be a good motor ?

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
As far as putting a cam in a junkyard motor as long as its a healthy motor go for it.Whileits out though I'd say put in a new oil pump and T-chain and do a compression check just to make sure all the cylinders are equal.Also now would be a good time to put some thin head gaskets in(Mr.Gaskets .018 are like $20set),while you got um off check the cylinder walls and clay the pistons.
IMO though the 280 magnum is a little bit big for a stock 350.A stock 350 can have compression as low as 7.8:1(8.4:1 w/ thin gaskets).So the 280 will really take away from the lowend unless its in a really light car or has nasty gears in the rear.
I'd say down size to the 268 or 270 but if ya allready got the cam stick it in.Its just it maybe a little doggy down low.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Engine Freshening

Generally we call it freshening an engine. Take the junkyard unit out and clean the heck out of it. Strip it down. Take a honing tool and run the cylinder to make sure there is no ridge on the top. Change rings and bearings (rods and mains). Timing chain replacement is good idea. Oil pumps usually stay healthy. If you are wanting a little work and no money, think about matching the exhaust and intake ports to the gasket. Do it before you do the new springs, etc. As for the 1.6 rockers, I would check with the cam spec sheets. Stock pistons should have no problem handling the extended duration so long as the springs can get the valves home quickly.

All in all, you should end up with a very hearty motor.

hr41pearl :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts