Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
names randy i have a 1955 gmc half ton stepside with a 123.25 wheelbase pickup 2nd series v8 just trying to do some custom work to it so it has a comfort ride and some good power

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
autobuff said:
names randy i have a 1955 gmc half ton stepside with a 123.25 wheelbase pickup 2nd series v8 just trying to do some custom work to it so it has a comfort ride and some good power
That '55 GMC should have a 287 cubic inch Pontiac for power. I don't know much about comfort ride, but with a Pontiac, I can make power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no vortec heads just a 350 i got out of a 64 chevy truck that a friend is going to help upgrade it for me with some parts he had and a four barrel carb. mabye a dual four barrel carb setup

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
NEW INTERIORS said:
:eek: :eek: ''Never'' !!!!!! LOL... :D
It would be more valuable with the origional engine, and if you didn't want origional, it's easier to put another, bigger Pontiac in it. Why be like everyone else, and put a chevy in it? With a Pontiac, you could just put the front pieces of the origional engine on a later engine and set it in. Same motor mounts, and no rewiring for the starter. Then if you wanted to put the origional engine in for resale, it would be a piece of cake.

Attachments

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
WDCreech said:
That '55 GMC should have a 287 cubic inch Pontiac for power.
Beginning in '56 the 316/317 (3/16" over 287) Pontiac engine was available w/a dual 4-bbl. set-up.

Those early blocks had no side mounts on them and had a different front dress, so adapting a late model engine like a 400 or 455 will likely require some fabrication.

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
cobalt327 said:
Those early blocks had no side mounts on them and had a different front dress, so adapting a late model engine like a 400 or 455 will likely require some fabrication.
It's not that difficult. You just need to use the front timing cover, water pump, and all from the front of the early engine. The timing cover will have to be modified for the later crank seal. I sold a '56 to a friend and he put a '68 400 w/48 heads in the truck. The reverse cooling works great and its a bolt up deal.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
WDCreech said:
It's not that difficult. You just need to use the front timing cover, water pump, and all from the front of the early engine. The timing cover will have to be modified for the later crank seal. I sold a '56 to a friend and he put a '68 400 w/48 heads in the truck. The reverse cooling works great and its a bolt up deal.
:cool: I will make a note of that info, thanks.

What did he do for motor mounts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i ha ve to say thanks for this advise but i have all ready got an engine and trans that was running and driving for 100 dollors i got lucky on that one and i am not building this truck to resell i am doing this for me to make the truck that it is mine and i will have fun to drive

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
in that case I might be able to help....I got a few tricks do do things on the cheap and quick too...you'll be driving that ole truck in no time.Things like cutting and lengthening the drive shaft for instance,motor mounts,P&B etc.... :thumbup:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
autobuff said:
i ha ve to say thanks for this advise but i have all ready got an engine and trans
Yeah, it's just that sometimes when Pontiac engined vehicles get mentioned, my reaction is to keep the engine instead of swapping it out for a SBC.

But this is usually when talking about passenger cars (F-body/T/A, Grand Prix, Bonny's, etc.)- when people want to put a SBC in those cars, I like to see the Pontiac engines kept in place instead- unless it's all about competition.

In the case of your P-U, being that you want a SBC and have one for cheap, etc.- by all means, go for it. :thumbup:

It's just a "preserve the Pontiac" thing for me that sometimes clouds my opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.