Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

As much of an old school hobby hot rods are, I find myself constantly learning and getting ideas from the internet and forums. I have spent many hours combing the archives on corvetteforum.com and can't wait to dig into this forum. My current car is a 1974 Corvette. In the past I have owned a 78 Camaro, 62 fleetside truck and an 86 stepside truck.

I have had this Corvette since 04. My neighbor asked me when I think I will finish it. I said hopefully never. So far I have done a complete color change paint job,brake and suspension rebuild, upgraded to composite spring in rear and 550* coils in front, Koni shocks, refreshed interior, detailed engine bay.

Drive line= I added electric fans and converted to HEI, Comp XE268H, Crower cam saver lifters, Harland Sharp rockers, Edelbrock Performer 6085 heads, Performer intake and Holley 600 carb. I changed the rear from 3.08 to 3.55 and just recently removed the TH400 and installed a 200-4R from an 86 Monte Carlo SS. The big things I have left are 2.5 in exhaust and upgreading this 200-4R.

Hope I can help out someday.

Best regards,
john

·
Registered
671 Posts
Glad to see another guy who likes the 200 4r trannys. If you got a monte tranny, make sure to put the bigger vallves in the pump and you should be happyj Just rebuilt one for my 77 concours nova with all the extra clutches and goodies. not sure a stock one will hold up to a good sbc 355 but it might. If not you can rebuild with upgrades.

·
81 Vette
77 Posts
Welcome to the site John, Nice looking Vette. Most hotrodders will never be finished with their cars and you and I are probably no exception. I have also installled a 2004r in a c3. My best suggestion for upgrades is to use a full preasure valve body. Yes the shifts are a little harsh. I had a trans shop in Tacoma Wa area do my rebuild with all the major upgrades. Unlimited milage and 2 yr warrenty $1300. Installed 4/12 and so far this trany has taken everything I can throw at it. The best part about the full preasure system is the dreaded TV cable adjustment. The cable now only adjusts shift points so no worry in burning clutch packs due to improper adjustment. My current engine is similar to yours. Looks like pontiac fiero seats? Very nice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The 200-4R is indeed the object of my spare time. I got a unit from craigslist for $145. I spent a few hundred dollars with Bowtie od for the adapter kits but the transmission works. The next item of business is an exhaust system with V-band clamps at the headers and just after the cross member to make transmission work easier, then a shift recalibration kit. I have the book from CK Performance and will probably try out his shift improvement kit. Depending on the results maybe a billet servo.

I transmission rebuild is in the cards so I will be looking here for info.

·
Registered
671 Posts
when you do get around for the rebuild, you'll have alot of things to consider. I thought about the full pressure valve body, but the harcher shifts worried me since il live in a smaller town and it would be shifting alot.
so I went with the extra clutch count in forward, direct, overrun and 4th clutch pacts with wide red band. Then put the bigger valves in for more presure and left the seperator plate stock except for 3 & 4. Mine works good and i love the overdrive with my 3.73 gears. Anything you do, no matter what you do, your going to like the 200 4r tranny. Which i would of done it alot sooner. Good luck in your project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.