Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody, like i said im new and just want to introduce myself, Im Dustin Phillips and i have a 66' mustang with a 302, the best ive run is 8.28 1/8 at 83mph, im just here to see if there is anything i can do to my car to get goin even better, it's had some work done. bored .30 over, cammed, trw forged dome top pistons, weiand stealth intake, holley 600 double pumper, motor sport timing chain, c-4 tranny with shift kit and a 3500 stall converter, 4.56 gear.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
hopped up 302

The first thing I would do is ditch the double pumper. Its too much carb for the 302 to handle at lower rpm. I would go with a vacuum secondary carb instead.
What are the cam specs?
Are you running an equa- lock or Detroit Locker rear?
Slicks?

Dumping all 4 bbls at 3500 is causing you some lag in excelleration. You may not feel it but its there. 3500 is about the time you want the secondaries to start opening, not to be open on that engine.

You will want the secondaries to be open at about 5500 rpm. With a vacuum secondary carb, you can tune that in.

In case you are wondering, I made that same mistake on a 69 mustang with a 302 in it several years ago. I was surprised when I dropped 2 tenths by going to a vacuum secondary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it doesnt really matter now, i blew it up about 2 weeks ago, i think the cam was 577 lift not sure about duration, mini spool, and i was running slicks, i got to an 8.19 before it blew. i guess its ok, im gonna build another 302 now and make more of a street motor but something that will still haul, instead of dome tops im going with flat top forged speed pros, still using the same cam, heads, intake, and carb. if i ever get any money ill look into the carb but right now i am putting all my money into getting it running again. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Just a new guy

You are welcome. Did I read you right that you are running a mini spool? Do you drive this car on the street?
As for an engine, you might consider dropping your heads ( I presume they are ported etc) on a 351, and go with that. Its a good way to get 50 more cubes ( cheaper than a 347 stroker by a long shot). Garnering a bunch of torque along the way. And a 351, would be able to better utilize that 750, even though you still would have to turn it pretty tight to do so.
Putting your heads on a 351 would only require drilling out the head bolt holes to 1/2 inch from 7/16ths inch.

everything would bolt right up except for the intake and distributor, and you only gain 65 lbs of front end weight in the process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was in the process of getting it "street ready" but decided to play a little bit so i put the minispool just for the track, im am gonna by a limited slip whenever i get it ready for the road again, i think im just gonna build another 302 because ive already got a block. the heads are just stock heads, nothing has ever been done to them but roller rockersetc...., never been ported. plus the engine compartment would be kinda cramped with the 351w, there isnt just alot of room with the 302.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts