Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, i was wondering what a 350 would do if you set the valve lash too tight, and how do you know if its too loose with out taking off the cover and busting out the feeler guage?? thanks

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
That is a possibility, but like johnsongrass said, it probably would not run, as the valves would not close.

Troy

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Set them looser than you think you need and adjust them with engine running. If your valves are hanging open you can burn them.

·
2,643 Posts
What engine? What cam?????

Troy

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If they are too tight (slightly) the engine will run but, you will hear popping out the exhaust or intake because the valves are not fully closed. As mentioned above if they are too loose they will make noise.

Royce

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong, but Ive heard that a sort of rule of thumb is to tighten them just until they start tapping and then turn them back 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
troy, its a chevy 350 bored 60 over, gm 882 heads w/ 1.52 roller rockers, the cam is a single pattern crane 222/222 .447 lift adv dur 290, 108 lobe sep

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
chevelle_502 said:
Correct me if Im wrong, but Ive heard that a sort of rule of thumb is to tighten them just until they start tapping and then turn them back 1/4 turn.
Turn them in until they just stop tapping, then turn an ADDITIONAL 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I usually go 1/4.

·
2,643 Posts
That's the way I do , 1/4 turn. After they stop tapping.

The lighter you set them the better the bottom end tourqe.
The tighter you set them the better the top end power.

Troy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all is well ,i just did them with the motor running, kinda messy, but simple enough for a rock like me, omg and just think, i get paid to work on guns lol , seriously thanks guys. Sgt S

·
2,643 Posts
Yeh, it can get messy. If you have to do it very often you can get a set of stoppers for the rocker arms that help a lot.

Troy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts