Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I am now just starting to come out of the coma of wanting to have a hi-po streetcar as a first car. Now my question is I want a 350 but can only find a car with a 305 now i know that the stroke is 3.48 on both motors but the bore is different. All I have to do is bore it out to have a 350 right? How much (rough estimate) would boring it out cost? :welcome: :confused:

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
You can't. The cylinder walls on both engines are approximately the same thickness, so you would get to about .100" overbore and suddenly be into the water jackets. You have to start with a 350 block.

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
do you have a budget your sticking to. If your talking about boring out an engine I would venture to guess you plan on building one. Go to a junk yard and pick up a block for cheap. Then sell whatever 305 comes in the car.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
350s are relatively cheap and easy to find. Arm yourself with some casting numbers and head to the junk yard. If you find an engine thay might be a candidate make sure you can turn it over by hand (with a wrench). Check for any binding and pull the heads off if you can. It would be a shame to get your new toy home to find out the engine is not salvageable and that the yard will not accept it back.

Some early 283s were able to be bored .125 over, but that was before the days of the lighter, thinner walled castings. You're not going to find a 305 you can do that to. Also, while the 305 and 350 share the same stroke length, the cranks are not the same. Compare a 305 crank with one from a 350 and you'll find that the 305 has smaller counterweights.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Blazin72 said:
Some early 283s were able to be bored .125 over, but that was before the days of the lighter, thinner walled castings. You're not going to find a 305 you can do that to.
Doc here, :pimp:

I had a 56 Vette, 283 punched to 301..That thing would overheat if it was packed in Eskimo pies in Nome Alaska at midnight in the middle of winter.. :mad:

You really had to know how to drive it..and know when to park it.. :sweat:

If you go too thin on the walls, it will over heat..or worse. A 305 as everyone has said, is not possible to go that far out.

Take a battery, and some jumper cables, and a compression tester, Vacuum gauge, 2 gallons of fuel and FUEL hose, some basic hand tools, and search the bone yards for (preferably ) a runner 350..

Pull the plugs, hook up your battery, do a compression test..should be around 125 psi, + /- 10 %, is good..

If it looks like it will run, cut the line to the fuel pump from the tank and install your hose to your fuel can..

replace the plugs,

check the oil, note the condition and level of the oil, Clean, Dirty black, or material in the oil, (including water) this will give you an indication of how it was treated in it's prior life..(look down the oil fillers too, should not be cruddy..)

Fill or check the radiator, check that for oil (oily coated water) and any leaks..If all that looks good , give it a fire..If it starts and runs..does not knock, or clatter, let it warm up..

look for blue or gray smoke out the pipes..or white steam out the pipes..If none (after a reasonable warm up) Check the temp gauge..is it "Normal" and holding it's own? If so ..that is a good sign.

Check your manifold vacuum for 17 to 21 In Hg at the manifold AND no rapid flucctions..If good it is a sign the valves are still good, and not burned.

If it passes those checks..pull it and take it home..

If you have a Pick-ur-part or a pick and pull near you, it is a good place to go..around here they advertise, any engine $125...(you must pull it..they will provide a crane..you need YOUR hand tools..)

You should get a good build-able platform Very Cheaply.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.