Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cant get this car to run right never had so many problems.this car just runs like **** .if i advance it it runs pretti smoth , but if i put it to time it shakes u .step on the gas and wants to die. wont start in less in the advance position eather,iv got every thing right were it should be .one thing is i might need better plug wires and for some reason i dont think the carb is working right. and as soon as u put it in gear it stalls .ready to put new motorand get rid of this 170 and go for 302.any ideas

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
bigrobdog said:
I just cant get this car to run right never had so many problems.this car just runs like **** .if i advance it it runs pretti smoth , but if i put it to time it shakes u .step on the gas and wants to die. wont start in less in the advance position either,iv got every thing right were it should be .one thing is i might need better plug wires and for some reason i dont think the carb is working right. and as soon as u put it in gear it stalls .ready to put new motorand get rid of this 170 and go for 302.any ideas
If you are working w/the original carb, that could be at least part of the problem. Check the old distributor bushings, vacuum and mechanical advance units as well. The points cam can wear down, too. This will cause timing issues. Set the points by dwell, not w/a feeler gage.

By advancing the timing way out, you are better able to keep a too-lean mixture lit- so if the carb is bad or the engine has a vacuum leak that's bad enough, the advanced timing will somewhat "crutch" the problem of a too-lean mixture. Be sure that the carb is adjusted correctly, if it hasn't been recently rebuilt, it should be.

Get a vacuum gage on the engine and see what the vacuum is at during various running conditions. It should be above 18 at idle, w/the ignition set to spec- but steady. It should drop when you open the throttle, drop under a load but also still be steady.

If you see a bouncing needle, this indicates a miss or valve problem, low and steady could be retarded timing- ignition or cam- etc.

·
70 Chevelle SS 396
195 Posts
Don't lose heart, Bigrobdog!
There's nothing going on there that can't be troubleshot and fixed. PLENTY of smart guys on this forum that will help ya get it under control! :)

When a problem arises, kick its butt and enjoy yourself :thumbup: That'll show 'em.

Nooj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.