Hot Rod Forum banner

Would you buy these?

• Are you NUTS, I can barely pay my rent.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I would be nice, but I rather have my new 4.11 Posi.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I am thinking about, I need new hinges anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm going to get some, what the heck, I have a hundred times that in the car anyway.

Votes: 1 3.8%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have to know, who buys these things? I mean, they ARE beautiful and if I could afford it I WOULD by them. But how much money would I have to make to justify it? If I made $150K a year, would that justify spending $750 on a pair of hood hinges?

I think I'll leave them for some other guy. :D

Brian

http://shop.feslerbuilt.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=105

·
Registered
151 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Ok guys, I have to know, who buys these things? I mean, they ARE beautiful and if I could afford it I WOULD by them. But how much money would I have to make to justify it? If I made $150K a year, would that justify spending $750 on a pair of hood hinges?

I think I'll leave them for some other guy. :D

Brian

http://shop.feslerbuilt.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=105

let's see.... a sbc, or hinges... for a trailer queen that doesn't get driven... get hinges. For a guy that drives his cars, I can buy a sbc for $750 at the local parts store and keep going.

To me, on a rat rod - its not worth it, but it all depends on what you're building.

good luck

·
Semper Gumby
395 Posts
Who Buys 'em?

Who buys these things? The guys who who pull out their checkbook to "build" a cost-no-object-Riddler. Fer sure, not the guys who build their own cars to DRIVE. For a checkbook rodder - hey - whats a few more hundred if it will catch the eyes of the judges?

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave57210 said:
Who buys these things? The guys who who pull out their checkbook to "build" a cost-no-object-Riddler. Fer sure, not the guys who build their own cars to DRIVE. For a checkbook rodder - hey - whats a few more hundred if it will catch the eyes of the judges?
I don't think it is about "cost no object" they aren't THAT much. Some times even the guy who builds one of those cars isn't about the "Judges" they are about stepping up their game. Personal satisfaction if you will.

From what I understand they DO work much smoother than original hinges. And hinges are a pretty ugly piece that you just can't do much with. I can see someone going there, it ain't me, but I "get it".

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way boys and girls, those hinges for $750 are what they START out at. Polished like the photo, they are $840!!

Brian

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
454 Rattler said:
If you didn't tell me it was a hood hinge, I would have no idea what it is. It's a waste of money in my opinion .

454 RATTLER
I first thought it was some kind of alternator bracket until I looked closer,then didn't know what it was,then I read it's a hood hinge.
Shane

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chevrolet4x4s said:
I first thought it was some kind of alternator bracket until I looked closer,then didn't know what it was,then I read it's a hood hinge.
Shane
I thought you were crazy and went back to look at it again. I see hoods and hinges nearly every day so yes it looks like a hinge. However, with my second look I am seriously wondering about it's design. What about those extensions that the shock is held on? That looks like a SERIOUSLY weak point! ALL the weight of the hood AND the forces of the shock "wanting" to keep it open are on those little extensions!

I am no engineer and know nothing about the aluminum used and how strong it is. But those look like SERIOUSLY weak points!

Brian

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Just another WAY expensive billet kit car piece. I rarerly stop at a rod show and look at cars that have all these hi-tech pieces. Very uninteresting but won't win any awards or get a mag feature article unless you buy and install them now.

Hmm . . . . Now how do I fit these thingies on my hood? . . . . .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Once upon a rod show

I remember a long time back this dude had a effie beside mine and he wouldnt talk to me or anyone,until I ask him where his liscence tag was located and he smirked and said it was hidden.Never saw one before and the dude said no more.I went home that night and tried to think of how it was done.Later I saw them at a national.Hey I never used this fancy stuff.Guess I am out of the game by not being rich,But I sure had some home made cars created from need and ideas.Funny how money mess es up alot of things in life.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
MARTINSR said:
I thought you were crazy and went back to look at it again. I see hoods and hinges nearly every day so yes it looks like a hinge. However, with my second look I am seriously wondering about it's design. What about those extensions that the shock is held on? That looks like a SERIOUSLY weak point! ALL the weight of the hood AND the forces of the shock "wanting" to keep it open are on those little extensions!

I am no engineer and know nothing about the aluminum used and how strong it is. But those look like SERIOUSLY weak points!

Brian

For $840, I'd be money ahead to toss $800 and the rest in "frosty beverage currency" in the direction of cboy, willys36, mikey, or any number of other real craftsmen on this site and tell them to go hog wild on a design of their own. Not only would it look better, but I'm sure it would be far superior in function as well.

In a while, Chet.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Would I buy it?...No, too spendy, and kinda ugly IMO. But just because I can't afford them doesn't mean they're overpriced. If you want hinges like that and they work for your application, they are a bargain.

There are undoubtedly many people (not me) who have the talent and equipment to produce a piece like that, but they usually don't work cheap. To develop a one-off hinge like that would probably cost at least 2-3 times what that one costs, and likely more. At today's labor rates, $840 might buy you 16 hours of labor if you're lucky. I don't think anyone could design and build something like that from scratch in less than 40 hours.

Different strokes for different folks. In my opinion, hot rods are best viewed in motion, not parked with the hood up; so no fancy hinges for me thanks.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
moontanker said:
I remember a long time back this dude had a effie beside mine and he wouldnt talk to me or anyone,until I ask him where his liscence tag was located and he smirked and said it was hidden.Never saw one before and the dude said no more.I went home that night and tried to think of how it was done.Later I saw them at a national.Hey I never used this fancy stuff.Guess I am out of the game by not being rich,But I sure had some home made cars created from need and ideas.Funny how money mess es up alot of things in life.
I'm making my own hidden tag with a door lock solinoid and some brain power...someone that thinks up this stuff deserves the credit but an old school guy can easily make this stuff...aluminum is very ez to work with, making those hinges would be way more gratifying than buying them for guys like me. I'd rather buy the tools to make all this cool stuff than buy the cool stuff.sometimes you even have to make the tools.Thats what hotrodding is all about...for me anyways...And moon,I think that guy your talking about is the one thats out of the game,not you....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.