Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the jw harris 20 ga. wire is great stuff for sheetmetal. it's not a typical flux cored wire. it has a powdered metal core & must be used with a sheilding gas ( i prefer 75% argon- 25% Co2 ). it can be used on sheetmetal at much lower temp. producing much less heat distortion & virtually no splatter. i've found it to grind easier & to be a bit softer between a hammer & dolly than a weld bead made from regular solid wire.
although not a "rodding expert" ( ha!) by any means, i spent 20 years fitting & welding in steel fab shops & have run a million miles of mig welding wire of various sizes, materials & positions. so i feel more than qualified to write about mig welding. i'd advise everyone to stay away from gasless flux cored wire. it makes a very brittle weld & all slag does not come to the surface or "boil out" of the weld( in welders terms that's called slag entrapment ) in short, it isn't suitable for automotive applications.
i now work for a welder supply co. JWH has a web site with pdf catalog. print the page showing the 20 ga. & show it to the counterman at your local supply store & he should be able to get it for you, if he carries JWH products
my 1st project is a '50 chev. p/u. progress so far is a complete rolling chassis with eng. & trans. the other is a '50 chev. sport coupe. both will be powered by 261 chevy truck 6 cyl. ( with all the '50s style goodies! ) backed by bw T-5 trans. from an S-10. progress is alot slower than i'd like! but this site has been a big help time to time. glad i finally registered & posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
makin' me worry

I filled in my gas filler tube hole behind my door on my '56 F-100 years ago (the project has sat idle for 6 years now) using .030 flux core with no gas. I had a heck of a time getting it in there, but got her done and was pleased with my first time efforts. What kind of problems could this entrapment cause me? Should I cut out my old work and go back using this wire with shield gas, or can I get away with it? I don't want issues in the future and now is the time to fix it if I do.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts