Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a SBC engine for my Model A hotrod. I just purchased a new set of aluminum heads for it and would like to know how I and keep them looking like new for as long as possible. I have used Shark Hyde before on aluminum to protect it, but I'm thinking the heat of the engine might turn that stuff yellow, or worse. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Like a coating?
That would reduce the thermal effects of the aluminum. But I have painted aluminum heads and intakes black with vht primer/paint.

I never played with vht clear on things like intakes. It may work flawlessly giving a polished look for years or could have them yellowing after a couple oil changes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you're not leaking oil all over the place it should be pretty easy to keep clean.
I cleaned my Pontiac with aluminum wheel brightener. It had been covered in mud many times in it's previous job, and I wanted to shine it up for it's next home.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
After years of motorcycle riding then on to street rods I have tried just about everything for cleaners and found SHOUT to be the best. Shout is made to take stains out of clothing and also be gentile on paint and rubber. In other words it will clean dirt and grease but not harm or spot aluminum or painted parts. It is not a solution for years of caked on dirt, just a clean up on lightly dirtied engines and such.

·
Registered
15,305 Posts
I usually give them a good wash and a mild acid like strong vinegar etch followed by a through dry then self etching primer. When the primer is dry the color of choice but not clear, for a natural aluminum I shoot aluminum paint.

Bogie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.