Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
It should be a part of consumer protection law that everything be stated as to country of oigion before purchase.

I just opened a box of NABISCO snack cookies that are made in MEXICO. Can you imagine the health standards down there?

BTW- How much discount did Keith give you now that he is saving himself so much money by manufacturing down there? :pain:

·
Banned
9 Posts
$8

NDNslicks4me said:
When "I" said I wanted over $8 an hour.... :rolleyes:
I agree, remember that a lot of vehicles and motors are made in Mexico and I have found that they are hard workers, do a good job, they are our neighbors and if we give them a job there they will stay in their home country. Also I am sure there is quality control practiced there as is done here... There is no way that we can export to ANY country and not expect to have them reciprocate. So how many TV's, Toyota's, ETC. are in your household ???

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The workers of MEXICO are not the problem, the price of products you pay for is. How much labor, taxes and enviromental costs are eliminated by going off-shore? Do you see any price reductions because it comes from Taco Land? I surely the hell don't.

In another ten years, no one (especially illegal alien labor here) is going to be able to buy anything.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have more of a problem with made in China personally... although I dont like it...I do understand why business do there manufacturing in other countrys. its not just the wages of the average American worker, its also the Health insurance, workers comp insurance, liability insurance, unemployment insurance, epa regulations, OSHA, EPA, and on & on & on. a 12.00 an hour employee is really costing the company about 25.00 an hour.
A 29.00 hour union UAW or UPS employee costs the company closer to 50.00 an hour when you add in sick time, vacation time, pensions, retirement, profit sharing, & on & on & on.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
stepside454 said:
I have more of a problem with made in China personally... although I dont like it...I do understand why business do there manufacturing in other countrys. its not just the wages of the average American worker, its also the Health insurance, workers comp insurance, liability insurance, unemployment insurance, epa regulations, OSHA, EPA, and on & on & on. a 12.00 an hour employee is really costing the company about 25.00 an hour.
A 29.00 hour union UAW or UPS employee costs the company closer to 50.00 an hour when you add in sick time, vacation time, pensions, retirement, profit sharing, & on & on & on.

And, thats why these companies are moving to other countries............Sad as it is, we have to find a way to compete with them....Just saying it is made here and is better quality isn't enough anymore.

Now, if governments were to step in and say, unless these countries can prove that they are treating their workers properly, we wont import their products....Of course, thats not going to happen, because prices would go up ........and all those people that shop at Walmart don't want the prices to go up.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When I buy stuff, one of the first things I look at is where its made. Of course I prefer made in U.S.A.
I make a very strong effort to not buy products made in countrys that want to do harm to us... or are not our allies...or atleast be in some sort of the same part of the book, maybe not even on the same page LOL.
I try not to buy stuff made in China, often times very hard to do, but I try, I dont buy gas from Citgo. Hugo Chaves is best buds with Irans president ( I know how to say his name, no idea how its spelled.)
The American worker....nearly all of us only have our selves to blame...some more than others. We want top pay... but we want the best prices.
Last year when I was shopping for wheels for my truck. I was very interested in Coy wheels, till I found out they are made in China. Than I started looking at American Racings Hopster Wheels. Surely AMERICAN Racing wheels are made here right ? wrong...American Racing Wheels are made in China.
I found a set of centerlines I really like, they are made in The U.S., I love em, very pleased with my purchase.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
poncho62 said:
Now, if governments were to step in and say, unless these countries can prove that they are treating their workers properly, we wont import their products....Of course, thats not going to happen,
As our government is receiving kick backs from the multi-national conglomerates.

because prices would go up ........and all those people that shop at Walmart don't want the prices to go up.
I wish someone could explain to me where the consumer is saving all of this money by buying CHI-COM. It is a complete mystery to me. WAL-MART gets richer and the populace falls all over them... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
well, this consumer really isnt,well, depends how you look at it. For example my wife wanted a new crock-pot, one of those big oval ones.
we hunted & shoped all over, every crock pot we could find was made in China. The manufactures have them made in China to save them money. In turn, it saves the consumer money.
If the crock pots where made in the U.S. by 10.00/hr +benefits + all the other costs,(insurance,etc.) it would be twice as much.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
stepside454 said:
If the crock pots where made in the U.S. by 10.00/hr +benefits + all the other costs,(insurance,etc.) it would be twice as much.
That is a crock... :rolleyes:

What extra cost not spent goes directly into corporate coffers. There is no savings on overseas products as I have not seen any price decreases since this began years ago. If I buy a FORD either assembled here or from across the Rio Grande, it will be the same basic price.

They have you pretty well brain washed don't they? WALLY WORLD comes into town, runs everything out of business and then stick it to you and you can't even see it.

In another ten years we all will be saying "WELCOME TO WAL-MART" or "CAN I DOUBLE-SIZE THAT FOR YOU?"

It would be nice if some of you would as maybe the rest of us would be able to understand the lingo. :mad:

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I think in the case of crock pots (appliances) and electronics, it does apply........Things like those have stayed at the same price or gotten cheaper for years now. I think it is because they are foreign made.,

Same with the knock off car parts...cheaper, but the profit is greater, because they use basically slave labour.

Automobiles have basically gone up and up over the years. I think that Japanese auto workers are well paid, so the cars are expensive. Korean cars may be a different story.......I think those workers are exploited, the cars are a little cheaper, but there is probably much more profit, as the workers don't make much money........

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
KULT...you havent seen any decrease in price, very true, but you havent seen an increase either. If that same product was made here, you can bet it would cost more. For example, look at the Edelbrock Performer Intake manifold, for years you could buy em brand new all day for 95.00 from about anywhere, now its up to 129.95 I believe.The made in China PP vesion is 99.00. just an example.
I try very hard , & whenever possible, I avoid stuff made in China.
If you think I like Wal-mart, your sadley mistaken, I rarely ever go there. I actually disagree with some critics about Walmart who say they dont pay there employees a fair wage, I know a few people who work for Wally Worrld, they get a fair paycheck for what they do. What I dont like about Wally World is what they do to there suppliers.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I also agree profits are going into corporate coffers.....arent they in business to make money? or do you really think they are in business to give people good paying jobs.
I own my own business, I have a pretty good understanding about the costs of employees anymore, its gotten rough

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Gentlemen, I have come to a decision...

I am going to build a 62 IMPALA LOWRIDER so that when the time finally comes in AMERIKA, I will be able to cruise the streets and pick lettuce in the fields without leaving the driver's seat... :pain:

It is going to be here a lot sooner than you think... :rolleyes:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.