Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Beater Driver
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday night my dad ran out to pick up some pizza for my younger brother's birthday party in my parents' 2003 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. About fifteen minutes later he called mom and tells her that he has locked the keys in the van and he needs her to bring the extra set of keys to him. No big deal, right? Well, mom quickly finds that BOTH sets of the van keys are still at the house. Now everyone is feeling a bit confused... Mom drives a set of keys out to dad in the 2004 Chevy Suburban and soon both of them were home with the pizza. After eating we set out to figure out what could have happened--was there a third set of van keys that they had forgotten about? Had he somehow been able to use the remote start on the van and then drive it without any keys in the ignition? Nope. The answer is this--the 2004 Suburban key on dad's keyring slid right into the 2003 C & T ignition and started the van with no issues. We were dumbstruck. The van has under 70,000 miles and the Suburban less than 30,000--doesn't seem like enough wear and tear to allow for such a thing. The keys do look pretty similar, but not so similar that you would think that they were interchangeable. My '06 Ford Focus key looks vaguely similar; I'm going to give it a try the next time I stop by my parents' house. We're also going to try the Suburban keys in the C & T door locks. More to follow!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My ex mother in law went to the parkhouse, unlocked the car door got in and,
:eek: did´nt recognise the dash.
It was exactly the same car except it was a higher model and had sport instrumentation. Hers was parked further over.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
My dad had a 72 mach 1 mustang and I had a 69 Mustang.

We found that the ignition keys would work either car, and both were factory keyed cylinders.

My friend has a kubota tractor and his ignition key fits my shovelhead harley.

More evidence that everything comes from china.

Mikey

·
Registered
183 Posts
Related to lost keys, have you heard that you can remotely open car doors with your key fob signal over your cellphone? Don't know how it works, but it does work. Bill :)

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
keys

Hi the key to my cessna 172 will unlock any cessna airplane and also start the plane. ive won a lot of bets with this key (usually flying time) im boatbob2

·
Registered
187 Posts
Speaking of keys....

Yesterday evening, my mom calls and says that she is waiting for AAA to come tow her car ('98 Crown Victoria) because it won't start and she is stranded at the mall. The car turns over but won't fire.

Today the garage calls her and tells her to come get her car, but to make sure she brings the extra key provided by the dealer. Well, we get there and the mechanic puts the extra key in the ignition and she fires right off! VOODOO! I yell. As it turns out, the micro chip in the plastic portion of her original key had fallen out and the on-board computer didn't recognize it as the correct key. Well, we had a nice laugh.... until they handed us a $160 bill for 2 hours spent checking out the car.

I hate computers in cars.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
There are only so many key combinations so repeats are not that uncommon. At one time it was only something like 10 variations for GM. When I had my '67 GTO the ignition key from my friend's Dad's '68 GMC grain truck key would start it. My folks had a '68 Torino Squire wagon and a '72 Galaxie 4 Dr. they had the same ignition key coding and the wagon door key would unlock the Galaxie but not vice versa.

·
Beater Driver
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update--we were unable to make the Focus key work in the van, and the Suburban key only works in the ignition--it will not open the door locks. In the ignition the Suburban key only works one way, also; if it is inserted one way it will not start the van. Flip it over and the van fires right up. Pretty crazy stuff. It doesn't surprise me too much that people have seen keys from like brands start other cars, but seeing a Chevy key start a Chrysler has been a treat. Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My dad used to have some late 50's-early 60's car key that he could start his sister's '60 Sunliner, and then remove the key with it running. Kind of a brotherly thing to do since her key wouldn't go in to shut it off....

In a while, Chet.

·
oldsmobile compatible
166 Posts
Makes me think of the mystery of the remote control to the TV in the bedroom. One day it just disappeared. Turned the place upside down looking for it. Figured I would find it one day if we ever moved.

Well here we are a few years later and we moved last summer. Still the remote control was nowhere to be found. Almost got me believing it slipped into the twilight zone or a parallel universe. Got me even more believing it slipped into the garbage can.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Nearly any key will start my Blazer. It makes me nervous during the summers because with the top off there is no way to lock it and it's incredibly easy for somebody to hop in and drive away.

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
Hmmmm..... I'm thinking about the key to my T-Bucket now. It is a small little generic thing that came with the generic ignition switch I'm using. Bet there are not that many key combinations in use on those. Now I'm thinking I have to install a hidden kill switch so as to slow down someone a little who wants to try their key in my switch. I've already got a battery kill switch which is out of site but a little looking around would find it. 'Course, I guess if someone really wants it bad enough, they'll just pick it up or shove it on to a trailer as light as these cars are.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Blazin72 said:
Nearly any key will start my Blazer. It makes me nervous during the summers because with the top off there is no way to lock it and it's incredibly easy for somebody to hop in and drive away.

I drilled the tumblers out of the ignition in Old Yeller and used whatever knife, nail or bottle cap was laying on the dashboard to start it for many years, It's general appearance is a theft deterrent in itself. (most folks don't think it even runs :D )

Later, mikey

·
Registered
15 Posts
tfeverfred said:
....... As it turns out, the micro chip in the plastic portion of her original key had fallen out and the on-board computer didn't recognize it as the correct key. Well, we had a nice laugh.... until they handed us a $160 bill for 2 hours spent checking out the car.

I hate computers in cars.

You know those Mobil Speedpass's? The ones that go on your keychain that you wave at the pump when buying gas. "DO NOT" put one on your keychain if you have an antitheft chip in the key. They'll scramble/confuse the computer and leave you stranded. We've had a couple of them towed into my work as well as a friend of mine at a shop across town.

It's the newer car's i'm talking about. The thing is people don't even realize the key has a chip/transponder in it.

Dave

(BTW, $160 and 2 hours sounds pretty high to me just for them to come to that conclusion.)

·
Registered
547 Posts
:confused: A lock is only to keep a honest man honest,, a thief won't bother trying to make a key work,,,, Toyota had a big problem with the keys opening just about all the trunks on the 80's camrays, not sure about the ignitions,,,

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Bad Rat said:
:confused: A lock is only to keep a honest man honest,, a thief won't bother trying to make a key work,,,,
Here's an example of the stupidity of thieves. A friend of mine had his Datsun 210 stolen. He never locked the doors and the people that stole it still broke off the door locks. They never even bothered to try to open the door first.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
In the overall scheme of things the chances of your newer Honda or Toyota or Ford pickup will stolen with no keys in it over a line of street rods sitting with the keys in the ignition. WHY?
A thief riding around in a Honda or a Toyota or a Ford Pickup is totally anonymous amongst the crowd, just like he wants to be...in a street rod it is "HEY, LOOK AT ME!!", not a good feeling for a scumbag in a stolen car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts