Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've been thinking about putting a keyless entry system in my 87 caprice with power locks. There are a lot of these systems out there now and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the fairly cheap models. A lot of them now go for under 50 bucks, especialy on ebay. Are these worth buying? Also are these systems pretty staight forward as far as installation goes.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

I'd Be Leary of anything on Evil~Bay..your likely to get a box full of air.

You only need the RF unit and Control interface, You should be able to find a fairly Cheap unit at a good auto Stereo / Alarm Shop, And it's local, if you have any problems putting it in..

Swap meets are another source.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
If you already have power locks, a keyless entry system is a very easy installation. There is a small reciever box that you mount under the dash, and you have to find a point to connect into the power door lock switch.

I'd say $60 is the upper limit for what you should have to pay for this type of setup from a third party company. I once priced the Ford dealer-installed upgrade for an '89 Taurus I used to have, and the OEM upgrade was only about $100 from Ford.

Bruce

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

What He said! :thumbup:

You should need only interface the RF box and output control wires to an area in your harness where you can parallel the lock wires from your Module, (+up -DN .. LF, RF, RR, LR) into your main harness for the switches to the door locks..usually in the center console or the Left door or side (kick) panel.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts