Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gutted it of the cd burner, cd rom, processor, and my 5month old 256 and 128 SD-RAM chips. Video card (same age as ram) and 10gig hard drive also is out of it. See it (and my new one) in my gallery, click on the avatar.

If you want to buy any of the cd drives, 700mhz processor, or ram, PM or email me. They didn't have anything in the classifieds where this would fit. (make me edit this if it's against board rules)

So, what should I do? Bernz-o-matic torch it? Throw it, tow it around a parking lot with my car? Run it over with the (un)offical Hotrodders.com lawn mower (see pic in my gallery).

Let me know. The stupid thing fried on me, I think it was the power supply.

·
Administrator
18,429 Posts
Run it over and take a clip of it.........we might pay to see that.

I think that you are breaking the rules by advertising, but probably no one will buy it anyways....computer parts are outdated by the time they are 6 months old anyways.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fill the bottom of the case w/ gun powder or drill out the stage into powder in those model rocket engines. Then make trail of gasoline to your computer (keep a safe distance). Then light it up, just watch out for flying shrapnel. Take a picture, it should be good.

Stroke

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Turn it into a Linux server, why would you want to destroy a perfectly good computer with only a bad power supply?

Geez, no respect at all.:rolleyes:

·
One of these days...soon
327 Posts
Chuck is 100 percent right, put linux on it and use it as a server, or router,or ftp/mail server, great learning experience, network the two machines together and learn networking.

If you only have one monitor, mouse, and keyboard then pickup a KVM switch for 30 bucks, hooks two PC's to the same monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Check out this Linux site and download "Red Hat Fedora3" for"FREE"

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

Have some fun with it and learn some very valuable skills, not many people have an extra machine to experiment with.

I have 9 machines and NEED to build another, I am learning so much it is pouring out my ears, and have a long way to go, but it is fun, interesting, some is very powerful, and valuable skills.

406chevelle

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Junk the outdated computer. Wouldn't look very nice next to your awesome new computer setup. Don't be a computer nostalgic nerd. :nono: Burnout over it! New systems are cheaper and run faster and don't crash every time you blink your eyes. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Drill out the end of a used CO2 cartridge and fill it with powder from skyrockets and then place a rocket fuse in the end and hot glue it and tape it to the monitor screen. Or you could use a piece of galvanized threaded pipe about 2" long x 2-3" diameter with screw caps on each end, drill a small hole in the center and fill it with powder from the skyrockets and tape it to a can of spray paint and light it in front of the computer. Me and a friend did this and it shot flames 40 feet in the air. I've read that you can use the heads off of matches to get the same effect, but I haven't tried it yet. Good luck with your quest!

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Crash every time you blink?

We have a Linux box at a buddies that is on it's third year without a single crash, it's a POS Pentium II 350. The problem isn't the computer, it's the OS and the software behind the keyboard in 99.99% of all cases.

·
Administrator
18,429 Posts
I think that computer crashes are mostly due to OE..............(operator error)

I have been using these things for over 10 years and have never crashed one yet...................well, never where I had to reformat anyways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
why not just buy another power supply

ive got like 20 of em sitting around?? i use them to convert d/c bump starts for rc cars to a/c

or hell another case is only 50 bucks

not that i dont enjoy nonsensical violence

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4 Jaw Chuck said:
Turn it into a Linux server, why would you want to destroy a perfectly good computer with only a bad power supply?

Geez, no respect at all.:rolleyes:
That'd be fun, but, in haste of gutting the drives from it, I cut the power supply wires and all.

The monitor.. well I have a POS one that it came with and is fuzzy and ancient. I'm gonna kill that monitor, and keep my other monitor, maybe sell it. It's only 2 years old or something, and is a 17 inch, so yea it's worth $20 or so at a garage sale.

I'll post pics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a stupid question, but what does linux do. I dont fool with computers and dont have much experience with them.:confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Linux is an Operating System. Basicly the basic code that any machine runs on. Microsoft has its own and Mac/Apple has its own. There are also many proprietary ones out writen just for the machines they run on. Like cell phones and the such.

Linux is closest to the Apple system. Extreamly stable and extreamly flexable. Its now the fastest growing OS in the world in everything from phones and copiers ot desktop computers and servers. The fastest supercomputers in the world are running Linux.
I've been using it for about 3 years now and never use windows for anything anymore. Not even games.

Its totally FREE. As in no cost. No copy writes. No nothing to ever payfor. And this scares the heck out of microsoft and Big Bill.

·
Registered
77 Posts
computer geeks :rolleyes:

c'mon c'mon, destruction!!! :smash: :smash: :smash: :D :evil:

we build hot rods, not computers. :drunk:

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
<====hotrods both thank you very much.;)

Unix lives!

Retro geek Chuck.

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4 Jaw Chuck said:
<====hotrods both thank you very much.;)

Unix lives!

Retro geek Chuck.
same here, i hotrod both PCs and cars, and lawnmowers too. i have the SDRAM if you want it, 396 or so MB. (think Chevelle 396) it's a 256+128.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts