Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I changed the oil on my grandpa's 2017 Buick Cascada (its the convertible that was only produced for a few years; I believe it is actually an Opel just rebadged as a Buick) Anyway, I take a look under the car after jacking it up, and there's a subframe connector/brace in the way of the oil filter! :rolleyes: It's a cartridge type, so it needed about 4 inches of clearance to pull straight out of the canister. So, I remove two plastic covers in the way of the subframe connetor bolts, and low and behold they are torx bolts... :( After some choice words for GM, I drive to my dad's house to get his torx set, drive back, remove the stupid bolts, and finally get to actually change the oil.

Here I am trying to help my grandpa on a fixed income save a few bucks and change the oil for him, and then these engineers pull this stunt! Sheriff Buford T Justice has something to say about this!

The reason I put (kinda) dumb in the title is because I suppose that they purposely did that so people have the dealership service it so that gm makes more $$$ This makes me so mad.

Rant over!

Y'all have a good night, and a better day tomorrow! :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today I changed the oil on my grandpa's 2017 Buick Cascada (its the convertible that was only produced for a few years; I believe it is actually an Opel just rebadged as a Buick) Anyway, I take a look under the car after jacking it up, and there's a subframe connector/brace in the way of the oil filter! :rolleyes: It's a cartridge type, so it needed about 4 inches of clearance to pull straight out of the canister. So, I remove two plastic covers in the way of the subframe connetor bolts, and low and behold they are torx bolts... :( After some choice words for GM, I drive to my dad's house to get his torx set, drive back, remove the stupid bolts, and finally get to actually change the oil.

Here I am trying to help my grandpa on a fixed income save a few bucks and change the oil for him, and then these engineers pull this stunt! Sheriff Buford T Justice has something to say about this!
View attachment 616315

The reason I put (kinda) dumb in the title is because I suppose that they purposely did that so people have the dealership service it so that gm makes more $$$ This makes me so mad.

Rant over!

Y'all have a good night, and a better day tomorrow! :cool:
Modern cars are engineered by apes with their balls glued to chairs, and most modern engineers are the same way anyway.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,819 Posts
Lets not forget the role of the bean counters forcing the engineers to come up with crap that kinda sorta works because they have little choice.
Look at this way, and engineering firm comes up with 3 idea's under the strict requirments of the customer only to have the bean counters pick the one that cost them the least at the expense of serviceability.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If it's Opel then it's probably German engineering, the push for stricter fuel economy and emissions means a push for less self service. The GM Spec oil is synthetic so they want to prevent non-synthetic, and the European engines I believe (from my experience of my wife having a VW) are using lighter weight oil (0Wsomething)… the trend also seems to be greater oil capacity to increase service intervals, achieve tiny incremental reductions in friction along with tighter clearances - probably for less blow-by, etc. etc.

IMO European cars are engineered to be destroyed and replaced at the end of their life.

Honestly in my experience on domestic trucks I feel like the oil change is being made easier. Quarter turn plastic drain plug and filters with grippy rubber coating that I can usually loosen by hand.

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
The stupid part isn't the torx head, that's fine....but anything designed to where you have to REMOVE A PIECE OF THE FRAME in order to change the oil filter is flat out STUPID.

"We ain't daily driving a F1 car here, you know" LOL

·
Registered
616 Posts
Some time back we got an '86 Chev Celebrity Eurosport wagon that despite it's stupid GM-contrived name was actually a great car for years (until the transaxle hit it's apparently-scheduled-for-those-things crap-out date). At first I stood there trying to imagine how to get the dang battery out...this way, that way, it was impossible to get around a certain engine-compartment structural brace. Eventually and possibly with the help of the Chilton manual I realized that you just unbolt the brace. Duh...welcome to the concept of removing frame members to do normal service. I guess if you had a Ferrari or something where it seems like the whole engine cradle has to come out to change a spark plug or whatever, you'd be OK with that, just how it's done now. Also I guess if you're swinging out a roll cage side bar and removing a steering wheel just to be able to sit in your race car you shouldn't complain, either come up with a better way or accept some inconvenience for the sake of better structure.

I am currently getting familiar with how GM did some things in the past while I try to figure out my '72 Corvette project which I acquired 15 years ago as parts in boxes. The magical miffling 50lb* headlight assemblies with their joints, springs, vacuum canisters and multiple die-castings, and a windshield wiper cover that springs up like a jack-in-the-box with a mechanism apparently inspired by TV cartoons, really? I guess that was all engineered in the middle of the James Bond-gadget thing and having ridiculous complexity hiding under smooth surfaces so that something can pop out on command was sexy. Well, I wanted a Corvette so I asked for it, but I'm a lot happier doing things like measuring valve spring seat pressure than I am figuring out old corroded jammed-up Rube Goldberg mechanical events that stand in the way between pulling on a switch and having the road light up.

*Exaggeration but not by much.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Years ago I was an Engineer at Ford and the bigest percentage of the designers nevere worked on cars, it's worse today and the bean counters then said it was cheaper to let people die in PINTO fires than to fix athe problems And when I demonstrated trucks with C 6 transmissions could "jump" into reverse when getting out to shut the garage door I was told to keep quied. An insider told me that I had turned in so many design problems on one designers project that one more and he would be fired, For a few yearthere were lots of blueprints with my signiture for final approval

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
If it's Opel then it's probably German engineering, the push for stricter fuel economy and emissions means a push for less self service. The GM Spec oil is synthetic so they want to prevent non-synthetic, and the European engines I believe (from my experience of my wife having a VW) are using lighter weight oil (0Wsomething)… the trend also seems to be greater oil capacity to increase service intervals, achieve tiny incremental reductions in friction along with tighter clearances - probably for less blow-by, etc. etc.

IMO European cars are engineered to be destroyed and replaced at the end of their life.

Honestly in my experience on domestic trucks I feel like the oil change is being made easier. Quarter turn plastic drain plug and filters with grippy rubber coating that I can usually loosen by hand.
It is indeed.. Opel Cascada

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
There used to be a designer who worked for GM on this forum and he would have explained why something like this is done that made sense. I totally changed how I looked at how cars were built after a few discussions with him. Basically so often they aren't designed this way on purpose, the design is a result of changes made and this was likely simply a way to make it happen. They are often being "forced" to make things happen because of some higher up dept throwing something at them. Give them a break, just look at it differently and make happen what you need to. What is funny is my son works at a dealership and with another guy in a team of two broke the record at 47 oil changes in one day. They also rotated tires and some other things on those 47 cars. Yep, just get your torx sockets and make it happen.

Brian

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Back in the 60's and 70's when I was an engineer at Ford most of the designers ween't car guys, had nover anything on a car except mabe changed their oil. and the bean counters over road decisions. The decision to let Pinto's burn because because they decided paying lawsuits would be cheaper than fixing the proplem. Then when an internal bulletin asked about C 6 transmissions "jumping out of park into reverse' I demonstrated how it could happen and was told to keep quiet. The fix was a decal saying to turn off the engine, set the park brake and shift into park before leaving the vehicle. I had filed so many APR problem reports against one designer's wort, got a phone call from a designer' frend that one mor APR and the guy would be sent down the road. There were a lot of truck and mustang prints with my approval signiture. My last design input was the 1980 truck front end grille head light design, the Thunderbird accessory 2 speed drive system that was only briefly usedand the a truck jack handle retainer system still used today. I wonder how long before the roofs on new cars with the seams on the top close the the sides start to rust out like older cars windshields and back glass area's

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Apparently you have never had the pleasure to work on a 6.0 powerstroke.

Never I mean never have I had a engine with more unnecessary failure points added. There seems to be I want to say 200 O rings on that engine and if one goes out(or you install something wrong) you have oil going where it should not causing a no start if your lucky to the injectior filling a cylinder. Then they put stuff in spots that makes what should be a 1 hour job a 10 hour one. That engine is a nightmare and it is rare for them to make it to 200k without something expensive needing to be replaced. I will take a v10 anyday over that junk 6.0

I have worked on alot of rusted jeeps over the years. After soaking torqx bits in liquid wrench I would clean out the torqx then hammer a HF torqx impact bit into the thing. 2 or 3 good hits followed by a 1/4 turn to the right then another light smack before turning left.

This works 75% of the time. The other 25% the torqx strips. When that happens I pull out the dremel and make a 3/8 square(or allen if small) for a extention to be pounded into which always works even if the bolt head breaks.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The Model T Ford Club used to sell a bumper sticke. "The more I am around Modern Cars them ore I like a Model T" The For 2,3 dual spark plug Tune up time or changing a thermostat. We have SBC engines in th shop for project because they are easy.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
Why I recommend not buying anything newer than the 1986 model year. Second to that is not newer than the 1995 model year as they can be back dated to make them reliable and repairable. After that just take it to the dealer and bring lots of money when it breaks.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Full Electric cars are around the corner and those are easily to service(with a lift).

Oh wait. Whats this about a structural battery pack?
"Insert expressive here"

I was looking for a geo metro this weekend as a band aid for a few more years till electric becomes cheaper/more available.
Metros have no power. But they are stupid simple to run and can slap around even brand new cars in the mileage catagory.

I ended up buying another 2wd TBI squarebody. Mileage out the window. But stupid simple maintance and a frame that will last for more then 10 years.
If gas hits $5 a gallon I will care about mileage. Till then if it gets more then 10mpg I will be happy.

80's and 90's cars have skyrocketed in price.
Being able to work on/swap things in them is just so much easier then a 2000 and later.

Things became so intrigrated with safety features to monitior every freaking thing along with the trendy things like dual climate controls or the elimination of the din setup.

To fix that vent door repair takes how long? Oh that makes sense the entire dash needs to come out. Yea lets do the heater core while were there. I would hate for those plastic fittings holding the lines to crack after I get it all put together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.