Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so first off I know of a few cars that have kits for them and I have seen a few but I haven't seen exactly what I am looking for. I really want an inexpensive donor car that is or will be a 2 seat sports car. I would like it to have a sweet looking full body conversion. In other words I would like it to go from car a to a Phantom or somthing crazy.

Problems that will cause pleanty to go wrong. I cant do any major conversions such as whelding cutting of major metal etc.. I also dont think I would be able to stretch a frame. I have access to a few tools and if it required some small amount of metal work I might have someone who I can get to help. Major concern is your all going to laugh at me say the project doesnt exsist of tell me to go join a fiero lover page. Well I would but I havent found a fiero that had a body for it I thought couldnt go on a better car. Fieros can be fun but I would really rather somthing a little bit more well reliable overall. I dont want to get an 1984 fiero and spend most of my time putting out electrical fires that start under the seats. Yes it does happen but only with the 84's so im told.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you cannot weld...how would you be able to stretch the frame?

We won't laugh at you here...maybe tell you to give us a bit more information though..hint hint.

What kind of car would you be looking at? Do you have any experience in body work? How much money do you have to spend...? That kind of thing.

http://www.kitcar.com

http://www.kitcarbooks.com

Check out some of those sites, they have pictures of cars that have already been done. You could get ideas from there of what you want exactly and maybe we could help you more. They also have tips of what to start out with, how to do chassis, brake, drivetrain, etc. conversions.

Hope this helps.

-Lindsey

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as far as a body style anything that looked like a porche a phantom , a cobra , a puma, or any italian car would be sweet. At this point money is not gotten to the picture I would like to do things cheap quick and clean. So if I had the choice of a fiberglass body kit that shot on a volkeswagon old school beetle or somthing I would take it even if it appeared to be somthing not so cool looking. I honestly am just trying to find somthing to keep me very very busy. I am spending too much time on my computer and its not good for me. :D

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
First thing... Get some kit car magazines and start there. You may find something in "Hemmings Motor News" for sale...an unfinished project is what your looking for ...right?? Good luck!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
An unfinnished kit is the way to go but at some point you will need to weld. Go take a couple classes and buy yourself a welder because you are going to need it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I ran into this kit that I would really like to work with it says it sits on a VW frame its a Gt40 replica. Anyone know if there is a company making these in the US East coast would be nice. Also if your familiar with this model does the VW frame need stretching to fit?

Let me also make it clear I really would like somthing thats pretty much bolt onto an exsisting frame. I would like somthing thats 2 seat or will only make use of two seats. I would really really like it to be VW chassis since they come pretty cheap. I also finally would like it closed top I dont want a convertable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you are going to have a hard time completely assembling a kitcar without at least touching a welder....Take willowbilly's advice and take some welding classes...they will help in the long run.

3,214 Posts
Not trying to be a wise a-- but "kit cars" are not like model car kits. They do not simply bolt together and drive away. There is modifying cutting and welding. There is also a considerable amount of "handing out". That is "handing out" money. I have seen several of the "GT 40" kit cars done on the VW chassis. They have all looked cheap to me. I would be afraid to drive one. If you are really interested in something like that, you need to research it real good. Then you should check and see if you can find one that someone had started then given up on. You can save quite a bit that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I should modify my views slightly

How difficult is it to take a car such as a Nissian 240 or 200 sx and Put a better engine in it. I mean not really that exact model but, I am wondering how hard is just an engine rebuild. What cars are good for putting a bigger engine and are 2 seaters. I was thinking how cool it would be to take one of these porsches I recently saw that had body damage but no fram damage and fix them up. The engines are pretty much hozed but how hard is it to take a car like that and put a bigger engine in it. Feed back guys what do you think about trying somthing like that. If I did somthing like that could I spend less that 5k on sweet engine rebuild kit and engine? What sort of engine could I drop in there and how much power could I get out of it.

I think I have Tim Taylor syndrom MORE POWER !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts