Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been welding up all the holes in the engine compartment on my 92 mustang. I posted a few pics of what I have done so far. What I am wondering is do I need to apply a thin layer of kitty hair to prevent water from getting in from the backside and bubbling the putty? And if I should use kitty hair is there any reason I can't apply it to the back side of the welds? Thanks for your help.

Brad

Attachments

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
There is no need what so ever to use Kitty hair in this way. It is an extremely specialized product. You use it for VERY high filling and for structual "reinforcement" , you don't need either on your project.

If your welds have a few pin holes here and there they should be sealed on the back with a seam sealer. Just use regular filler on the inside where you want it smoothed off. If you do need some super filling use some Everglass it is MUCH, MUCH easier to work with than Kitty hair and will provide you with the same water "resistance" (it is NOT "waterproof" as it states on the label) and high filling.

But honestly, I have welded up a zillion holes in firewalls and inner fenders and have never used so much as a tablespoon of anything other than regular filler.

Brian

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Agreed....

I agree with Martin...

We did a 87LX engine bay last year... There's ALOT and I mean ALOT of darn holes in that engine bay.. That's crazy!!!!!!

We moved the strut towers and the firewall back. But here's how it turns out all painted and done.

Good luck.. it's alot of work ;)

Scott~

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good UR50SLO. It's pictures like that is why I decided to start this project. It looks so much better than the factory swiss cheese look. I am going to remove the k-member tomorrow so I have more room to work and can get to the backside of the strut towers.

Brad

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Chris (owner of this mustang) went with tubular K memeber and front A arms.

Here's a few pic's (dusty) but you get the idea of what kinda room using that K member allows you to have in the engine bay.

We've got over 90hrs in the engine bay alone. This Mustang has a 3.8L Turbo Buick engine in it... This engine was running 15psi in a Camaro body on pump gas turning low 11's. In this Mustang it should be 10.80's

It's alot of work to fill in all the holes but like you said it's well worth the efforts... ~

Scott :thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.