Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a slight knock at start up..She runs strong with no noticable knock at all rpms ..But when in gear at 700 rpm ,you can here a steady but faint knock.The engine has only about 1000 miles on her.The only other (slap) I noticed is the rockers but, this knock sounds more from the lower right side...I am still thinking about the fuel pump rod and the excessive play i've read about...Also in the past I had a slight over advance problem that I took care of------There was some detonation at the time , but all fixed now. I probably messed up a bearing too ?It wasn't for a long time but chit happens...How can I record sound and transfer to post?That would be the only way to really determine the sound if others could hear it....

THX---Ant.

·
'Stock' is just wrong!
46 Posts
A knock?

If you're hearing a knock, on an engine with only 1000 miles on it, that can't be a good sign. Unless you're talking about detonation, a knock's got to be something loose, or something that's about to become REALLY loose.

Bad/damaged bearings would make either a growl or a whine. Something loose in the heads would make more of a slapping/tapping sound (like when a lifter hasn't pumped-up with oil yet) I personally would pull the engine, take off the pan, and see how much metal is in the bottom. Best-case, you've got an accessory (air-conditioning compressor, air-pump, bent fan blade or water pump shaft slapping into the shroud). Worst-case, you've got an engine that's about to lose a rod-cap or a crank-cap!

Of course, you already knew that before you asked the question!

-Kustomizer

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
Could it be a cracked flexplate??I've had three so far and they sound like a tinny rod knock.Also check your starter to flexplate clearance if its not cracked.
Whats your oil pressure??Does it come up quick whan ya start it or climb up slowly(bearing problem)??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good call, 78! I have had that cracked flywheel issue before too, on a Buick 350.

Hope it's nothing major! Good luck!

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

·
84 Mutt
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil pres. shoots right up to 60 instintly when fired up. I 'll check the flexplate..! Thanks for input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts