Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the riddle.
'63Impala with 350 and 350 Turbo trans. Has 50k on the new motor and rebuilt trans. Been running fine many years with a few of the std issues. Other day I notice a knock/rattle from back between the motor and trans. then went away. Today it's alarmingly louder. Also, gets random power missing while driving. Sort of like when you get a leak in the fuel pump. Worse under load. Also notice a bigger trans fluid spot underneath but, trans level is ok and clean. Noise is heard inside and out in any gear. Shifting doesn't affect it. At first I thought distributor bearing which might also cause the power wandering up and down while driving. Now I'm feeling like it's not quite so simple. Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Knock

All I can do is guess so here goes. Could the converter be coming loose? A warble would account for trans fluid leak. Check the rear mount to see if it has come loose or the rubber come apart. As far as the missing goes, that COULD be a different issue.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Have had many reports of cracked flexplates in the last several years, with the advent of "chinesium" parts in the marketplace. If your plate is cracked, the fix is a plate designated SFI 29.1, a heavy duty drag race plate that probably won't crack, even in severe duty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The investigation goes on. I crawled under to watch while running. The block was slightly moving independent of the bell and about a .060 gap. So I tightened the bolts back up and I don't hear the noise right off but, haven't driven yet. First I want to fix the lope. Acts like a missing plug. Have to start by popping off the dist. wires to see which one. I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhh. Success. No more noise and full power Scotty. Was able to smoothly reach warp 8 once again. When I got your posts of flexplates and converters, That's when I crawled under. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Knock

FYI for future troubleshooting get a non contact thermometer. Price is way down on them now and makes finding a dead cylinder easy, just point and pull the trigger at each header. Slacker will show up cooler than the rest. Also use it for wheel bearings and diff. housing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, that's a cool idea. I have one at work. I'll try it on the next issue. This time I pulled the #2 wire and no change. Found the plug really nasty crapped up with grease. Pulled a couple more and they were fine. Maybe a faulty plug. Once they fail, they crud up real fast. Anyway, after super cleaning, all is good.....for now.:thumbup:

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
It really pleases me to see fellows find the fault in the system by troubleshooting per suggestions of the crew here. This is a good bunch of guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts