Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Simply unplug it. The computer will run without it. Its a reactive sensor. The engine simply wont retard sparking if knock occurs. Many people unplug them when running timing gears. You risk damage of detonation however if your timing and fuel are correct this shouldn't be a problem.

I dont run it on mine currently.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well here is the deal i am throwing a 43 esc code and my car will not run right and i thought it was because of the knock sensor not being hooked up but since you say that i guess i have another problem.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
It most likely a problem with the Electronic Spark Control module rather than the knock sensor.

Taken from a GM site.

"ESC is used to sense spark knock (pinging) and retard the timing to eliminate it. A knock sensor (located at the rear of the engine block) sends signals to an ESC module which then signals the ECM that knocking is being detected. The ECM will retard the timing by as much as 20 degrees in 1 degree increments. A loss of knock sensor signal or loss of ground at the ESC module will cause the signal at the ECM to remain high. The ECM will act as if no knock is present, and may possibly result in engine damage, if there is detonation."

If you have a fault between the ESC and the ECM it THAT will cause the timing to begin its retard process and now allow proper timing advance.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Possibly something is grounded that shouldn't be. Or its highly possible the ESC unit is bad. If you havent changed the wiring I would suspect that first as I have seen them go bad.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Try changing the knock sensor right in front of the starter in the lower part of the block , it will be screwed into the block drain, most are on the V8 GMs and check the wire that connects to it it will burn and short out on the exhaust manifold i think it is brown?or gray?. Check your plug wires bad or leaking wires will set this code and must be routed away from the sensor wire, check your repair manual. And you need to reset the computer to remove old codes , disconnect the battery for ten seconds or so, each time you change a part or repair or you will be reading the same code set the first time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts