Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive heard alot of hype about the new krylon fusion: about how good it is on plastics and stuff. im planning on paintshifting my a/b pillars. my only question is about applying it. ive been overhauling cars for a while and i know that when in doubt -- use primer to found the paint. should i use primer for the fusion or not???

·
Registered
28 Posts
I made a sign for our church about a year ago. I could only find brown vinyl material as a channel for temporary lettering at the bottom. I painted it with Krylon fusion white paint with no primer and it is still good today, and it stays outside. It etches into the plastic, live pvc primer.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I didn't have much luck with the Fusion. My end result had huge fisheyes and it didn't want to cover. It might have been improper prep, but I would rather use the SEM paints

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Don't blame the paint for improper prep. Prep is 99% of the job. I have been using the Fusion line for about three years now on interior panels and have never had a problem with it.
I always wash and scrub the plastic parts before painting. Use TSP (Tri-sodium-phosphate, cheap at any hardware store) and VERY hot water. This will remove grease, oil and especially silicone. Have you ever Armor All'd your interior? Silicone...
Right before painting I will wipe the parts down with laquer thinner and tack them well.
Put the can of paint in a tub of hot water for about ten minutes before spraying also. Helps it flow. Keep your fingers and hands off the parts also because they will transfer oil and grease.
Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm one of the biggest fans of Krylon Fusion and it works wonders on many plastic projects but, when it comes to automotive projects, SEM replicates that OEM look far better.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used the Fusion paint before. Don't use primer. The Fusion bonds to the plastic. The primer doesn't. Worked good for me as long as I owned that car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
appriciate it folks. turns out my buddy had sem paints all over the place at his booth that he didn't need. not saying i wont use fusion though. ive got plenty other stuff to paint as well you know. thanky

·
6,734 Posts
If you use SEM, starting with scuff and clean #38338, followed by plastic/leather prep #38353, and then dye (it is a dye, not a paint) with any of the SEM color coat spray colors you will never be sorry. Go to www.vinylpro.com. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts