Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed ads on TV for a new Krylon paint that is supposed to cover and stick to any plastic. Has anyone tried it? How about polyethelene? Vinyl? They have pretty good products so I am curious of this stuff really works.

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Looks like no ones tried it yet, bro'.

I've been into Krylon's stuff (as a graphic artist) since 1966 when they first came on the scene and I've always liked their acrylics.

I saw that commercial, too and was wondering the same. I'll bet it's great.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,238 Posts
I just painted my dash cap last night, it does a great job. It does however seem to be a bit tricky to get a really even coat. It took 3 coats to get the spray lines to go away, but man it looks nice!

Regards
Mark

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
This brings up a point that I'm reluctant to raise but.... I've never really understood the different plastic terms used, e.g. polyethelene, etc. Anybody?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Polyethylene is made from a ethylene base mainly long carbon chains from petrolium. Used in pop bottles and the like. Thats also why they sometimes have a funny taste. Its also part of the reason for that "new car smell" I don't beleive them old cars had that same smell when new.
Polypropolene is made from organic compounds using long chains of propial carbon molocules. Used in milk bottles and nylon cutting boards. Doesn't inpart any funny tastes. It also breaks down in the open air and sun far faster than the polyehtylenes.
Some is now made from suger carbons in corn and made to fall apart in a year or less of being in the sun.

I just got all this info from my brother. He's in collage to be a chemist. I'm not that smart.:drool: :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
My brother-in-law picked some up to paint the plastic fenders on his dirt bike. Stuff just peeled right off. We first thought that he did something wrong but after stripping the paint off and making absolutely certain that the surface was clean and oil free, the paint again peeled. He ended up buying some stuff for painting urethane bumpers. That worked like a charm. I took what he had left of the Krylon and painted my computer case with it, worked great. I have come to the conclusion that the Krylon just doesn't bond well to flexible plastic surfaces.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
getting a paint to stick on a thermoplastic compound like polyethylene, or polypropylene is very difficult, and i will bet money that the fenders on your bros dirt bike is self coloured polyethylene, and no paint will bond to it, on on plastics like polyvinylcloride, or Vinyl paint and dye will be able to penetrate and bond quite well, yoot computer is peopably made from a bi-blend plastic containing Polyvinylclorice (PVC), polycarbonate (PC, or lexan) and is a good base for paints

and pzatchok: your brother should either get a refund on his college tuition or you just didnt pay attention when he explained to you that polyethylene and polypropylene both are made from the gasses, ethylene (or ethene) and Propene (the suffix -ene, instead of -ane refers to a double bond, meaing that it is unsaturated) this bond used to polymerise a long carbon chain, depending on the process you can either get High density or low density polyethylene, that are respectively relatively stiff, or relatively flexible. (the lids and bases if tupperware are HD-PE and LD-PE respectively) but both plastics are FDA aproved for food use and will under NO sircumstances EVER leave any taste at-all. period!

other plastic types are also polymerised chains of chemicals containing carbon, hydrogen and a host of other elements like clorine, suffur, bromine and many more. the possibilities are endless and the properties are as different. and to add to the confusion they can be blended and mixed with other plastics and solids or fibres, as an example, nylon can have peoperties like fishing line if used by it self. and mixed with glass fibrers be as stiff and strong as aluminium, the frame of a Glock pistol is nylon with glass fibre filling for example

and my knowledge of plastics is limited to 4 semesters courses at university when i was studying to ge an engineer. and ive only scratched the surface..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.