Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first timer here. Wish I had seen this forum before I started working on my car. From what I have read rattle cans aren't held in very high regard. I just painted my underbody with Krylon rust tough and after reading some of the threads about rattle can paint I've gotten worried. Would I be able to paint over the Krylon with dplf 90 and should I do so? Also does anybody have any feedback on a product called Chassis Saver? Thanks in advance. Rick z

·
Registered
734 Posts
zuker60 said:
Hi everyone, first timer here. Wish I had seen this forum before I started working on my car. From what I have read rattle cans aren't held in very high regard. I just painted my underbody with Krylon rust tough and after reading some of the threads about rattle can paint I've gotten worried. Would I be able to paint over the Krylon with dplf 90 and should I do so? Also does anybody have any feedback on a product called Chassis Saver? Thanks in advance. Rick z
Rule #1

A paint job is only as good as what's underneath.

So spraying high dollar primer and paint over bomb-can primer is not a good idea. You might never have a problem or it could lift and craze on you.

You didn't mention anything about the type of car, type of build, etc...if you're just building a daily driver you could probably just rattle-can the color on the underside too...

If you spent the time and money to strip the underside to bare metal - then strip it again and use the good stuff all the way out to the paint!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, it's a 69 Mustang convertible and by no means is it going to be a show car. Probably a summer weekend driver so I'm don't think I will really be too fussy about the underbody. thanks Rick Z

·
Registered
734 Posts
zuker60 said:
Thanks for the feedback, it's a 69 Mustang convertible and by no means is it going to be a show car. Probably a summer weekend driver so I'm don't think I will really be too fussy about the underbody. thanks Rick Z
Are you dealing with surface rust issues?

Are you going with black or another color for a topcoat?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are surface rust issues and as for a top coat I'm not sure yet. They came from the factory with just primer. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
734 Posts
zuker60 said:
There are surface rust issues and as for a top coat I'm not sure yet. They came from the factory with just primer. What would you suggest?
I'm not sure how this stuff would react to the bomb-can primer but I would look at using Eastwoods Rust Encapsulating Primer. You can get standard colors like red oxide or satin black, or you can get colors to tint the primer to something close to the body color.

I like this stuff over POR15 for the color options, its thinnable up to 20% with good quality OTC laquer thinner, and it has UV protectants (not needed for underneath a car) and can be left as a topcoat rather than paint.

Eastwood also has some nice Chassis paint if you want to take it a step further.

If thats not enough you can brush this stuff on with reasonable results because it flows and dries pretty nicely.

This is the satin black, rust encapsulating primer, thinned 20% DTL16 and shot with a spray gun.

Look around under this link to Eastwood and you'll find what I'm talking about. Eastwood Rust Prevention

Post some pictures if you get a chance!

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts