Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing a Lakewood blowproof bellhousing I have heard that you should index or align the bellhousing to the centerline of the crankshaft. Has anyone done this or have any input about doing it ? Is it nessary ? What happens if you don't do it ?
Gene

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
332 Posts
Proper bell housing alignment is very important. If not properly aligned, you can experience hard shifting, popping out of gear, shortened life of the pilot bearing, transmission bearings and other transmission components. Below is a link to instruction of how to properly align your bell housing.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/BELLHOUSINGALIGN.pdf

Barry

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
bell

I have done a bunch of them... I can tell you that almost everyone was .015" below the crank center line.

I like to use the kit that has the rings that welds onto the bellhousing. What you do is drill out the holesin the bell, then align the bell with a indicator. Then you weld on the rings that have the correct size hole to fit the pins.

I have found this to be a very acurate set-up when removing and installing the bell..

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts