Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from all the computer wizes out there.

Please be gentel with me i am almost an illeriate when it comes to this stuff.

I am thinking about buying my wife a lap top for christmas. She will use it only for her book/poem writing. She will not be launching and nuclear missles or doing hostile banking takeovers with it. I am thinking i just need something basic for her but i am not sure exactly what to look for.

Any recomendations of what to look for??

Thanks keith

·
here to learn
276 Posts
dont spend any more than 800 bucks, go to best buy and tell them what you told us, but remember, NO MORE THAN 800 BUCKS!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keith-

If she just wants something basic you can really go with pretty much anything. Does she want internet access??

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkadcmhleeikkcfngcfkmdflldfjl.0&catLevel=1&storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&category=compaq_presario&aoid=1433
Starting at 824$, the R3000Z is a reliable option.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Dell...Inspiron 1000 or 1150 are going to be the most basic routes to go there.

A lot of the laptops available today would be capable of powering a small rocket...but there are still ones available to do just basic computing. I bought my first laptop at a computer warehouse sale, 250$ for a mac laptop...that was back in 1995 and I have upgraded to others from there so I could include different graphics programs.

Dell has great customer service, at least that is what I have come across. They make house calls to set up your system and to troubleshoot any problems.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4503-3121_7-0.html?qt=dellhome&ds=1&do=1&smp=3
The Dell Review

http://reviews.cnet.com/4503-3121_7-0-1.html?tag=aisle&orderby=&pn=1&qt=hpsmallbiznotebooks&do=1&ds=1&smp=3
HP Compaq Reviews

Hopefully this information helps, if you need any more help, just ask :)

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
biggest cost modifiers are going to be video card, front side bus and processor speed. When I lived in Germany I knew I wanted a laptop that could do internet, display my pics, play some games and be cheap. Found some parts on ebay, built a laptop for like 350 bucks, sold it for 400 a year and a half later. You could very likely do the same-

K

·
Registered
91 Posts
take it from a dumb college kid who owns a laptop...
whatever you decide to buy, get the EXTENDED WARRANTY.

your laptop WILL get knocked over, WILL get something spilled on it, WILL get broken, WILL become an expensive paperweight...

All the PC co's. have one and it means that if you damage your PC, they fix it, no questions asked. It's probably gonna cost you a few bucks extra - but believe me... laptops are not cheap to fix.

An $800 laptop is very able to rack up a $1200 repair bill for any damaged component... in the 2 years i've had my Gateway I have had to ship it back 3 times because I either 1. spilled 2. dive bombed it or 3. broke it.

well over $2000 in repairs - $0 fee to me. even shipping was covered. trust me on this one buddy.

ps - hey killer, what kind of laptop could you build these days for say a grand? if you can build it, i can buy it - name you're price.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Personally, I would recommend any of the Apple iBooks. While the ibook G4 may be overkill for what she plans to do, an iBook G3 would be just dandy. Apple's operating system is heads and tails better than anything by Microsoft, and their hardware is well-designed. I've used both PCs and Apples and I would never buy a PC. We have had Apples at home since 1987. I'm using a 4 year old iMac right now and it's been by far the most reliable computer at my work place by far. As far as software goes, there is plenty for the Apple OS, and if need be, one can get emulation software if you really need to use that pesky Windows schlock.

Try these sights:

www.apple.com
www.macmall.com

tom

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
what you need is a cheap word processor

try these people, I bought My last 3 system from them:

www.tigerdirect.com

you can talk with them personally and tell them your application and ask for their input too.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I agree on the price thing. From what it sounds like all you need is the basic starter computer. I got this laptop for $749 and got the extended warranty. If you go to best buy, you can talk them down on the warranty price. I got the 3 year for $99 instead of 199 that it was suppose to be. I told the guy it was just to much money to justify for the time. We talked a little while and it got down to $149. I told him I would pay $99 and he went for it.

Chris

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I'm not a computer guy but I see alot of computers that seem way under priced, but they always have Intel Celeron processor. I hear the Celerons are garbage, I'd like to know why though.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I believe that the main difference on the celeron is the internal buss speed. It is generally slower that the pentiums and AMDs. Think of buss speed as the high way between the processor and the memory. The processor can only crunch information as fast as it can get it.

I have a celeron in this compaq and have had no issues at all. It is just as fast as my work computer with the same speed pentium as far as I can tell. Unless you get into high intensity graphics stuff like games or something like 3D modeling, you dont need all that speed.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
18,353 Posts
I agree with the extended warranty.................It got me a new laptop, after my 2 year old one packed it in................I hope this one dies after 2 years too. I have the 3 year extended.....................

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

A big thanks to everybody... I love this place you get good answers to your questions plus a little humor (toilet bowl water...he...he...he) to brighten your day!!!!!

Thanks again everyone for the info. i guess i need to start shopping!!!!

Keith

3,214 Posts
Right now I am useing a "Toshiba Satellite". It has a built in moden, sound card, CD and 3.5" drive. It has the Celeron processor and I have had no problems with it. I bought it in December of 2000 for about $1000, although they are considerably less now. I purchased mine when I decided to go on the road driving a truck, to use for a map program, and also to keep records on, including my log book. This one has made the trip from the passenger seat to the floorboard numerous times. Fortunately, it never quit working, except when the batteries went dead. It really doesn't need the sound card. It does have it's own sounds now. After dropping it numerous times, it does rattle a little. LOL

Now since I have a wireless network set-up, I use this thing while in the living room watching TV with my wife. It helps keep her off my back about me spending all of my time on-line.

The only problem I have had with laptops is with the batteries. I have used 3 laptops, 2 with an insurace company and this one. All 3 have had problems with the batteries going bad after about 1-1.5 years. The batteries can get expensive, so I have not replaced it in this unit. I just keep it plugged in.

I would get an extended warranty though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts