Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, does anyone know what the largest v8 big block gas engine there is? Alos, this is a big engine...heh:

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm
check it out if ye want.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

Anyways, take care.

·
Registered
117 Posts
that would have to go on my list of the most amazing things, i've ever seen...can you imagine throwing a rod in that thing...spinning a bearing...breaking a crank ($$$$$$$$$$$$)...and the worst imaginable...what if they forgot to change the oil!!!!!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Old news posted by new member. Look at the RPMs on that BIG engine. These engines are so reliable that there is only one on board. In theory, they can shut down a cylinder and completely replace all the components while the other 8 are chugging away. My son is a Chief Mate on board one of these single engine/screw monsters and the shaft, which is striped like a barber pole, turns at the engine speed. The prop is near 28 feet in diameter. Now that is a big screw.

Trees

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
As far as gas powered motors go, I am pretty sure you can go as big as 808cid with mountain motor stuff, and I even saw a 1000 cubic inch motor once on TV, but I have not been able to find any information on it. As far as industrial motors go, I am not sure.

Adam

·
Registered
258 Posts
The caddy 500 was the largest production v8. You can get 600 chevy big block crate motors. The new viper motor may be a hair bigger than the caddy, but it is a v-10.

My caddy has the little brother of the 500, it has the 472. Getting a 76 parts car with a 500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
who machines the parts for that thing. its HUGE.

As far as the largest big block, i've also seen the one on TV of the 1000ci, so i would say thats the largest. I didnt know about the 600ci crate motor tho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts