Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7oor4 has late shift from 1-2 almost at 20 mph 2-3 between 30-35 mph with momentary slip, but once in 3rd gear, feels solid with no more slipping. no 4th gear shift at all. TV cable adjusted acording to manual (but the cable does not adjust back out unless I hold the D button in during adjustment, manual and most post I have read say to release D button after pushing cable back toward firewall then have someone push gas pedal to wot and cable will ratchet back to proper setting. mine will not ratchet back out unless I hold D button in a little, could this effect the adjustment ) by the way thanks crosley for the torque converter info it was dead on.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Don't like the slip with late upshifts,that could be bad.

Does the shift pattern change if you change cable setting?

In other words does moving the cable change anything?

This is important to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
have not tried to move cable yet,as soon as rain lets up I will move cable adjustment and see what happens any thoughts on which direction to move it in. Just got finished making minor adjustments to cable 1 click out away from firewall no change another click in same direction changed shift point of 1-2 fron around 20 mph to 35 mph could not tell where 2-3 was at,as it had not shifted out of 2nd and I was at 55 mph. Going back the other direction in toward firewall from original starting point 1 click no change in shift from 1-2 still 20 mph and solid shift 2-3 shift still 35mph but with light throttle no noticable slip, with moderate increase in throttle shift into 3rd still 35 mph with alittle slip, less slip than original starting point. Move in toward firewall one more click and it slips slightly from1-2 and even more between 2-3.

·
Registered
685 Posts
late 1-2 shift,2-3 shift with momentary slip

Take a look at thread-89 suburban 700R4 problem,lots of good info.

Terminology can be confusing,so post back if that's the case,but if you release the cable lock and push cable towards the firewall,the shift points should get later.

Do you have access to a pressure gage?

·
Administrator
9,767 Posts
I am curious of the vehicle's history.... mileage, old trans or fresh rebuild?

Sounds like a worn out 700 tranny.

3-4 clutches worn out ,

2-4 band worn out....often you can have a 2nd gear but no 4th gear.. the section of the 2-4 servo can not apply the band for 4th gear do to worn out band

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crosley, this tranny is the one that I posted a few days ago with a whirring sound and no engagement in any gears, (I had used a torque converter ment for my 89 700 (30 spline) this tranny is from a 85 k5 (27 spline)

as far as I know it has not been rebuilt, I would guess it has well over 100,000 miles on it.

this tranny came from a friend of my brother inlaws ( I know that was my first mistake but it was free) so I am not real familiar with its history.

Still looking for a pressure gauge to do a pressure check I just need this tranny to last until mine is rebuilt however I am trying to fix this one for a spare incase of emergencies, not perfect but useable in a pinch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts