Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a 1974 454 ci in my '84 elcamino and i would like to get a late model efi system from a u-pull-it savage yard and install it on my 454. does anyone know if this is possible/feasable. i would also like to pull the 350 turbohydro trans and install an over drive auto, like a 700r4. thanks for your help. mark53

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
mark53 said:
i put a 1974 454 ci in my '84 elcamino and i would like to get a late model efi system from a u-pull-it savage yard and install it on my 454. does anyone know if this is possible/feasable. i would also like to pull the 350 turbohydro trans and install an over drive auto, like a 700r4. thanks for your help. mark53

Sure, it should be little to no problem if you get the entire set up from the donor vehicle. Chip calibration might be necessary. Will a late 454 donor engine deck height match your 74 454 engine? so the manifolds will fit? and the intake port shape?

Camshaft overlap will show itself if it is a problem with your existing cam. EFI cars have minimal overlap which usually means wider lobe separation angles if you are going to have a decent duration. Remember, EFIs are all single plane intakes.

Street and Performance in Mena Arkansas seem to be the gurus on this.

Wiring alterations must be soldered and use glue filled heat shrink. No cobbling around allowed.

Generally speaking, except for the electric fuel pump and the computer memory, there are only 3 wires that hook to the car's wiring system. Crank, crank and run, and run only....... on the key switch circuits.

:thumbup: go for it :thumbup:

trans should be no problem just adjust that TV cable.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
xntrik... is right but one question I have... Are you thinking this will give you mucho MPG...? With a BBC the answer is NOPE... :nono: If you use the correct cam & eprom then everthing will be nice and simple to drive but very little if any on the fuel economy side... The idea of the 700R4 will do more but if you want to dog on it then the trans will not last unless you go silly with money and hard parts and it still may not live all that long... A 4L80E would be money better spent... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
late model efi/1st gen 454

thanks for the advice. i am not really looking for gas mileage with these changes, as much as dependability and some measure of updating an older engine. when looking for a donor vehicle would i be better off with an earlier vehicle, like an '85 - '90, or would it not matter as long as i get the entire system?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.