Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as i reach the end of college here i'm looking into buying a decent sports sedan. I'm a bit of a dork so i'm making a table that compares all the possible cars. One of the things i want to include in the table is the cars lateral g holding ability or how it does on the skid pad. Anyone know a good website to find these values for newish cars (i.e. 1997 and newer)? Thank you much.

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think "Motor Trend" has skid pad numbers for all the cars they test.

By itself, however, maximum skid pad acceleration is not a very good criterion for the evaluation of handling. I'm told that a '57 Corvette and a '57 Thunderbird will achieve essentially equal skid pad numbers. And, that an old solid front axle MGTC will actually beat the later IFS MGTD. There are SAE standardized tests for the evaluation of transient behavior, but I know of no US magazine which employs them. The British magazines tend to do a much better job in this area, but, unfortunately, they probably don't test the cars in which you're interested.

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
A lot of magazines post slalom speed, which is a fair indicator of handling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts