Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if there are any laws about cars sitting in the same place for a long time if they dont run and if there are what are they?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
in Michigan it is called "Blight" by the township zoning boards. In this township the vehicle must have current plates, missing no stock body panels or trim, and fully road worthy. Must be moved before sixty days. If it even has a flat tire they will issue you an "Inoperable vehicle" ticket. $85.00 fine.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would think if its in your garage...& behind closed doors, than it wouldnt matter...but like everyone has said...chck with your city or county, or subdivision laws

·
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford
226 Posts
I know two old neighbors who lived just a couple of blocks away from each other. One owned an old plow truck and the other had an old (early 80s) beater car. They would wait until they got a notice from the city pertaining to their vehicle and then switch. They went back and forth, swapping cars every time they got a notice, for over a year I believe. :thumbup:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
It depends on your local laws. In our area, if they are not in operating order, or are sitting without tags, they will be impounded. That is within the city limits. Outside the limits they don't care. More and more places are starting to get tougher on cars sitting for extended periods (months into years) without ever being moved. Your local police should be able to tell you one way or another.

Kevin

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Barz51 said:
I know two old neighbors who lived just a couple of blocks away from each other. One owned an old plow truck and the other had an old (early 80s) beater car. They would wait until they got a notice from the city pertaining to their vehicle and then switch. They went back and forth, swapping cars every time they got a notice, for over a year I believe. :thumbup:
What part of Michigan are you in? I gotta meet these guys, they have my kind of sense of humor.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Silly by-laws.My neighboorhood is a 3rd class city.Meaning we have our very own sworn officers.NO parking on street-cool,keeps the road clear
NO-portable basketball goals in the front drive-cool do not hav the need for one out front
NO boats in the front drive or side drive,must be behind the fence in the back
ALL Garages must have same coler brick on facing as house does-Not a problem unless the brick manufacturer switches dyes
Garage Doors must remain closed when not pulling a vehicle in or out.
Being that our Mayor McCheese is a gear head roundy round racer the last one is not enforced.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:D I used to play those game with my former HOA. The VP lived across from me and I flat out drove him crazy. I understand them wanting to keep the place looking nice, but hey, my covenant said I could work on my car in my carport when I bought the place and didn't say anything about only being allowed to store a trash can outside. Let's just put it like this, if he knew that I would go to the extent of buying the ugliest '58 Ford truck I could find, load all the stuff he said I couldn't have outside in the back of it, and legally park it in front of his place for 3 months, he may of learned to mind his own bee'swax a little sooner. It's a great feeling to know they have at least 10 amendments to the covenant named after me, to include one that states, "front end allighnment are not permitted on the premises!" Anyhoo, now I have a house in the county with a huge 4+ car shop! It would be local laws determining what you can store and where you can store it. I have a friend who owns 80 acres out on the plains and is getting greif because his place is zoned agricultural, but he has too many old cars sitting around. Go figure!:p

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently got a notice on my Sons 94 Cutlass which was sitting across the street from my house. It needs a transmission installed but other then that you couldn't tell it wasn't drivable. It sat there for a month or so before I could find someone to put the transmission in for me that I can afford, Due to my work schedule lately I can't do it my self.

The city put a notice on it saying that all vehicles parked on city streets must be moved every 10 days! My back yard is full with my 49 Fleetline, 57 Chevy, Honda Shadow and my dirt bike, and then the garage takes up the rest of it with all my tool and my 67 Impala in it.

I think I need to move out in the country!

Rodrunner

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I am under the jurisdiction of the local township ordinances.
This would fall under the "Nuisance" heading and specifically "Inoperable vehicles", which there is a couple backdoors out of, first they don't bother you for an unlicensed or parts vehicle for a period of time specified in the ordinance, and if you have other than residential zoning on the property.

And then there is nothing done if there are NO complaints against you, or the ordinance enforcement officer cannot see it from the road. The layout of my property is able to hide 2 full tractor trailers plus many cars if I were to choose, but currently I have four unlicensed vehicles in full view, with the ordinance bypassing "for sale" signs in the windows of two of them.

I have ben turned in by a vindictive neighbor who runs a general repair garage, I was almost cheated out a very large sum of money from him early last year when I had a need to farm work out. He lost quite a bit of business because of it, and he also lost quite a bit of business over the 13 years I have lived here by his bad attitude, and more so by his sons working for him, both have been charged with DUI and had both lost their state inspection licenses for a while because of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts