Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: I'm finally starting to get on "the straight and narrow" on my projects and ordered a bunch of parts for my '89 C1500 last night. Just a few minutes ago a co-worker comes up to me and offers me a rust free ( a few dents ) '86 Chevy 1/2 ton 2WD long bed with a good running Tuned Port Injected 305 and fresh 700R4 out of a Camaro for $600. He's behind on his alimony and truck payment and he's going in for surgery tomorrow and needs cash. I can't begin to finish my truck for that. I like my truck and want to see it through (for once) but DAMN IT how do you pass on a deal like that! I'm going to stop and give it the once over, I'm pretty sure I can turn a buck on it, or maybe replace the kids wrecked car with it. Where was he before I ordered all those parts? :pain:

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Lead us not into temptation .. and boys im gonna deliver ya from evil!! Tooo many projects cost more than 1 and if ya cant finish one... its gonna cost ya twice to finish 2 and in double the time!! I know!!! I still have that damn old truck I bought that i stare at every morning as i walk out my drive way ... I pile snow on it in the winter .. and i wash the damn thing in the summer .. it runs and thats just about all it does........... I look at it and all i see are darn $$$ signs
And yet i cant bring myself to sell the darn thing!

Pup

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I'm doin' good and haven't gone to look, I keeping thinking how much that $600 will do on my current truck.

But it ain't been easy!!!!!! :pain:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Hey Hippie....Check THIS SITE All truck guys and you can usually find some great deals ands great ideas. So what's the plans for it and what did you order. Just curious because I have an '89 and a '93. Love them both.

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kevin45 said:
Hey Hippie....Check THIS SITE All truck guys and you can usually find some great deals ands great ideas. So what's the plans for it and what did you order. Just curious because I have an '89 and a '93. Love them both.
Thanks for the link, I went ahead and registered but they already have a "Hippie" so I had to use a different user name. If you see Winola73 over there that's me.

My truck is an '89 C1500 Sportside ( or whatever they called the "Stepside" that year ) with the W/T style grille , 4.3, 5 speed and 3.42 peg leg. It was a Plain Jane except for PS, PB, tilt wheel, AM/FM Cassette and a sun roof and sliding rear window. The 4.3 blew a head gasket a month after I bought it so it has been benched while the rest of the family fleet got taken care of but now it's MY turn. I bought a '96 350 TBI out of a 1 Ton van from the same guy at the same time as the truck with plans to swap it for the 4.3 in a couple years but the schedule got moved up. The truck is black, mostly, but has lots of primered spots and different color doors with lots of primer which is cool for now.

This is a "lo buck" project since it's basically going to be a beater but I want to have some fun too so plans for the 350 are a .030" overbore, TRW forged blower pistons to put my static compression about 8.6 to 1, NIB Vortec heads, a crate motor takeout GM Marine roller cam (same cam as the Ramjet 350 and HT383) and an Edelbrock Performer. I just ordered a "quiet" dual idler gear drive ( just for fun ),a CNC machined HEI and set of ceramic coated headers. The Vortec heads and Marine cam with 8.6 SCR will put my Dynamic Compression at the upper end of being able to run 87 Octane and I want to be able to run it on whatever is available although I will run 89 Octane 10% Ethanol most of the time. Everything except the Performer came off eBay. Got some great deals, for the most part........ I'm going to run a 4 Bbl. carb for now but will keep everythng in place to switch back to TBI down the road.

The 5 speed will get freshened up and a Hurst Competition Plus shifter and eventually I'll throw a posi in it but keep the 3.42's. It will get lowered 3" in the front 1" with springs and 2" with spindles and dropped 4" in the back. Eventually it will get smoothed out and painted a glossy dark solid gray epoxy because I'm getting 5 gallons of it for free AND it won't show the black door jambs, etc. I may put a narrow accent strip down the length of the body right where the coach line is, probably light gray and black. The rear bumper will get replaced with a rolled pan before it gets painted. Wheels will be stock steelies with center caps from a late 90's PU with or without trim rings depending on wheel color and my mood. Tires will be 235/75-15's on all 4 corners with or without whitewalls or white letters again depending on wheel color. I may try to get 2 or 3 extra sets of wheels so I can paint them different colors and swap them around every so often. Wheel colors I have in mind so far are the obligatory red, light gray, black, Chevy engine orange and a really bright green that I happen to have 2 gallons of. I may add a set of junkyard bucket seats later on if I can find a good buy but for now the interior will be largely stock with the rubber floor mat and all and an old army blanket for a seat cover. It was the "seat cover" in my first car 34 years ago. Oh yeah, a Superior 14" steering wheel just like I had in my first car too.

It isn't going to be any show piece but it should give me years of good service and miles and miles of smiles. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boggla500 said:
buy the truck yet?
No, reality set in and I remembered anytime I have ever bought a vehicle to try to make a few bucks I end up losing my butt. I'm talking myself out of it, that $600 will go a long way on my other truck. I still have to get my block machined and buy rings, bearings, gaskets, a V-8 radiator, new clutch, shifter, lowering kit, etc. :eek: I'm going to clue one of my friends in on it, he's needing a cheap PU. I better stick with what I have, I liked mine with the V-6, I'll like it even more with a V-8. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts