Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new member and this may already exist, but somewhere, there has to be a site or book that describes leaf spring by length and width and refer to a make! Think of the possibilities... go to a catalog... find your length and width and find out what year, make and model used that size spring. My reason? I just aquired a 1936 Dodge. The front leaf springs are both rotten and broke. Until I decide wether to replace the front end with an IFS or keep it original, I would like to be able to roll it around in and out of the shop. The local "make anything spring guy" wants 300 bucks per spring to make new ones. Wouldnt it be nice to look up the sizes, go to the local auto wreckers and pick up some temporary used ones for 5o bucks until you decide what to do? Moreover, a good data base would give you the ability to get a replacement spring when you bust one on the highway without having to have one custom made (again) Does this exist?. If not, if we each took a dozen spring measurements.. wow we could start a heck of a data base!

Rick

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Go to the wreckers with your tape measure and start measuring...............Even if you can only find the right width, you can strip them down and cut them to the length you need..............it ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Poncho

Heyee.. I was WONDERING if I could do that!... I knew that they can be cut but I didnt know that I can re-curl the one end!.. can you tell me if I quench them to keep the "spring" in it or let them cool naturally???

Rick

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
cut them to size and then curl the one end and heat treat it ????????????????? Huh.

ok, that's one way of doing it if you like over-engineering things and building "space shuttle" type projects in lieu of simple solutions. why not just keep it simple and just locate the right ones.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
leejoy said:
cut them to size and then curl the one end and heat treat it ????????????????? Huh.

ok, that's one way of doing it if you like over-engineering things and building "space shuttle" type projects in lieu of simple solutions. why not just keep it simple and just locate the right ones.
Because finding the right one isn't always possible............

The main leaf has to be the right size............you cant recurl it yourself. If it is broken, you have to get the right one to replace it. BTW, I have never seen a broken main leaf..........not saying it couldn't happen.

But the others can be replaced and cut to size.... I have done it many times. It costs next to nothing and it works. Real hotrodders used to do it all the time.

Besides....he said he wants cheap, so he can roll it in and out of the shop....................well, this is cheap

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Well H'mmmm the field expedient method is to wedge a block of wood in between the frame and axle..wrap a tie strap around the deal to help keep it place..

Actually nursed an ole truck home that way one time so it does work..

Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks to all!

I just gotta say many thanks to all who replied.. I got lotsa ideas... the old springs truly were useless.. ALL the leaves DID break right down the one side behind the axle... yup... including the top leaf!!!.... but I got real lucky... I was getting desperate... I needed to get the old girl in and out of the shop to be able to tend to my customers... soo.. with my hat in my hand.. I went to the auto wreckers inteneding to come home with SOMETHING I could stick under the old girl... as luck would have it.. I dug through three HUGE piles of leaf springs that had been already taken off (work smarter, not work harder)... honestly...I was prepared to look under every vehicle out there if I had to but the leaf spring piles were inviting me... As I dug in the last pile I looked up and saw an old chassis beside an old barn.. it had a flat head 4 cyl in it and that was about all... I looked over to see that it still had its front leafs still on it.. I measured them and WOW.. the exact length and width.. was I shocked.. I had the wrecker guys torch off the springs including keeping those weird threaded little U shaped shackles.. the guy at the front counter couldnt believe how excited I was over an old set of springs.. but he was sure that the chassis was an old late 50s army jeep.. and about then I remember visiting the Chrysler museum in Pontiac Michigan (hell of a town to put a CHRYLSER museum huh)... and remember seeing that DODGE did build some of the earlier jeeps for the war... cool!... sooo... the springs are on and the car rolls again... weeeee.... thanks to all for the suggestions and info... no doubt I'll be back... cuz now I gotta get it to start... next conquest hahahahaha
Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In retrospect...

You know what.. I STILL think that we should make a leaf spring data base! It can only HELP.. it wouldnt hinder thats for sure... BTW.. Poncho I noticed that you are in Ontario Canada... are you near London?.. just wondering....

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts