Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I have a freshly rebuilt 454 that I testdrove over the weekend. Only problem is a serious oil leak where the filter would attach to the block. I currently have an oil relocation kit installed because of clearance around the headers. Leak is non existant at idle but runs with throttle at about 2500 rpms. I have pulled the adapter to inspect the o-ring and it seems to be fine. The adapter seems to be on pretty tight as most oil filters are only hand tight anyway; correct? It seems no matter how i tighten it theres a trail from house to the end of the block. My driveway is starting to look like an oil slick. anybody ever have this trouble with an oil relocation kit? Would some valve cover sealant hold under the high pressure?

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Leak

I have a ford 66 f-100 with a 240 six, I have actually changed filters at oil change and had a similar problem. When I pulled the oil filter off, I did not notice the o ring gasket was still there and I installed the new filter, I had 2 o rings between the filter and the block, and when the pressure came up, so did the leak. In your case, it could be a cracked adapter, a missing adapter gasket to the block, or misaligned gasket. Saturday, I helped a friend replace his u-joints on his 65 chrysler newport convertible. The driveshaft fell down on the back and was slapping everything in its reach at 40 mph. I looked over the trunk lid while the top was down and I saw u-joint caps and sound proofing chips so that I could identify exactly what was coming apart. The driver thought it was the tire, so I wanted to confirm my theory. We fixed the u-joints and drove it out of the driveway, and it left a hefty stream of transmission fluid for about a round trip in a mile. The vibration cracked one of the transmission line fittings. It was dark, so my friend and I got some used sandblast sand and covered the stream on the driveway so that my wife would not kill us, that was on saturday night, we are still safe. Sorry to get off on that, but I do hope this might help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.